FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX SPG Personal & Biz 35k 2017
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:29 pm
rrgg

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Someday doesn't matter. Next 2ish years is what matters.

You can get the card now, and then 2+ years from when that 100k bonus posts (if you've cancelled the current card by then) you can get it again (assuming you're not at 5/24 either time).

So all that matters is whether it gets to 200k within a bit over 2 years, and I would think that's very unlikely.

Keep in mind that the present climate is Chase Marriott competing with Amex SPG which both earn essentially the same currency. But if the merged program drop Amex, then there'll be less competition between banks just at the same moment that there's one fewer major hotel programs competing against each other. That analysis implies the bonus is maybe not as likely to be as high when the new merged program settles in.
That's exactly my point. They are competing right now and a better offer could come along in the next 12 months. Maybe you think I'm exaggerating with 200k, but I don't think so. People would have said exactly the same thing about 100,000 miles on BA until it happened. Now 100k is the new bar. Besides 200k Marriott is < 100k BA < 100k UR and those happened.

Originally Posted by Explorer789
I don't think we will see signup bonuses higher than 100k without seeing more tiered spending schemes
That's not at odds with anything I've said. I'll spend more to get more.