FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:09 pm
LarryU

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
I think this is the case, although an agent once told me that anything with a date change will be split.

A while ago I had a daytime layover/stopover that was just over four hours because no earlier connection existed. After applying the upgrade on the website, the request only showed on the first segment. It was an international to domestic connection with a date change due to the time zone change, and the connection was still daytime. To get the request added to the second, I had to call, which took about 15 minutes but was done without any particular pushback.
I've flown many redeyes into EWR and continued the next day to my final destination but RPUs could still be applied to the entire itinerary (clearing the RPUs is another matter).

But as I posted in the GPU thread, I recently flew to ORD one day prior to an international flight but arriving well within 24 hours before the international segment. When I attempted to extend the GPU to cover the earlier flights, I received a huge amount of push back from reservation agents and from "supervisors" behind the scenes. They would not change their mind even after carefully parsing the GPU rules from the web site. It was only resolved after a couple of HUCA attempts, which are often de rigueur with UA these days.

I can understand that the web site, such as it is, may not have all of UA's rules well codified. However, the fact that UA's staff (including supervisors) do not appear to be well trained and do not seem to have the proper tools at their disposal is inexcusable. Some simple tasks take an awfully long time to accomplish, such as last night's 45 minute stint extending an RPU to cover a flight departing five hours later. And this was without explicit push back, just the agent's lack of familiarity with rules that have been well documented for quite some time. Among other irritations these days, I think UA often has very little regard for the time and needs of its customers.