FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:29 pm
LarryU

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
GPU Stopver Rules

I just booked an international itinerary as follows:

PDX-SFO-ORD (arrive in the evening) - BRU (departs the next afternoon).

I applied a GPU, which cleared on the transatlantic segment but the 1K desk told me that it cannot be applied to the domestic segments because the stopover exceeds four hours. I was under the impression that for GPUs used on international itineraries, the cutoff point was 24 hours, not four.

The upgrade rules on the UA web site says, "Stopovers require multiple upgrade products. A stopover for a single, one-way trip within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada is defined as longer than 4 hours in the connecting city. A stopover for a single, one-way trip to or from all other destinations is defined as longer than 24 hours in the connecting city:"

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...wupgrades.aspx

It certainly used to be 24 hours in the past. Has something changed over the last few years or is the 1K agent (and his support desk) not understanding the nuance of the rules? Or I am not understanding the rules correctly?

The call ended with the UA agent saying that the computer simply won't allow it. He added that its always been that way for as long as he worked for the airline (18 years) - but before the merger, his subsidiary of the airline didn't even have global upgrades.

Last edited by LarryU; Jan 30, 2017 at 6:57 pm Reason: Fixed typo