FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Plans to Keep DAL Gates
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:18 pm
SJC ORD LDR

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Not necessarily true. AA/DL are more likely to just add more frequency to an existing route/hub. AA/DL won't get the slots regardless of what happens so that point is moot anyway.
It's also true that AA/DL are more likely to serve a small city than anyone else. Both are true.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
By that logic, it would make the most sense to allow one airline to use all slots of a slot-restricted airport, since that would allow the most possible non-duplicative routes.

That isn't particularly convincing logic, unless you think giving a single airline monopoly access to an airport is going to yield good pricing and outcomes for people wanting to fly to that airport.

PS: DL and AA don't serve DAL-LGA. Are you saying customers would be better served with a WN monopoly on DAL-LGA flying?
IMO, I'm not a fan of slots, though I know they are a necessary evil. But, I really think the perimeter restrictions for DCA and LGA should be ditched. It's one thing to not offer a customs facility, but it's another to artificially limit how far a plane can fly. This would help AS more since they could fly LGA/DCA-SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX/SAN.