FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Too much crew control of window shades on 787?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:18 am
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
I'm on UA 2 SIN-SFO right now. This is my first time taking this non-stop flight out of Singapore.

About 20 minutes after departure, the crew darkened all window shades, as is possible with the crew override function of the 787. The windows have remained on the darkest setting for the duration of the flight.

The departure time in Singapore for this flight is 9 a.m., so this is ostensibly a daytime flight... at least until it isn't (somewhere over the Pacific a few hours into the flight, when we met up with the westbound sunset). While the flightpath is largely over only ocean, the initial part of the flight should be fairly picturesque, flying right over the Spratly and Philippine islands. Like many other FTers, I enjoy flying and usually I intentionally choose the window seat. The 787's window on its darkest setting lets through very little light, making sightseeing unrealistic and aerial photography impossible.

I know this is a first-world problem and verges on the never-ending debate over who controls the window shade, etc. But it seems reasonable for passengers to expect some availability of looking out the window on 15+ hour flight. This isn't a cargo airline.

For the record, I tend to think I'm pretty respectful with the window shade and cognizant of others trying to watch movies, sleep, etc. If the crew wants the shades dim during their meal service or whatever, perhaps some type of halfway-dim setting compromise would be reasonable. Isn't this the point, after all, of the dimming window shades on the 787; the ability to maintain passenger comfort while still allowing passengers to see out the window?

I'm planning to ask the service manager at the conclusion of the flight, but was wondering about others' experiences on this flight. Is this a company policy for this flight? Or a crew-based decision? Am I being unreasonable to want to see out the window during this flight?
In my handful of experiences it's standard for the crew to force the windows dim on the 787. I don't like it either. What I'd prefer is for the crew to dim the cabin but not lock the shades, so that they could still be manipulated individually. That seems like it would be reasonable.