FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at HNL
Thread: Cars at HNL
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:49 pm
qs933

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Flying to HNL next month and want at least a standard SUV for my family of 4 (2 adults, 2-2 year olds).

I reserved a standard SUV from both National (Exec Elite) and Enterprise (Platinum). Who's my best bet at receiving an upgrade to a full size SUV? Can I use one of my upgrade certs from Enterprise to do so? Will National give me something off the Exec Aisle if it's to my liking?

Is National just a better fit travelling with kids since they're in terminal parking?

Thanks.
I'll pass on the Enterprise questions as I'm not familiar with their loyalty program or their upgrade certificates. My only experience with Enterprise in Hawaii has been (unfortunately) insurance rentals a few years ago. For those I got a sticky, high mileage Chrysler Sebring sedan and a Ford Focus. Not great (but better than walking to work while my car was being fixed).

I've picked up from National with a Standard SUV reservation at HNL and was given a GMC Arcadia (Premium Crossover, I believe). Not sure if they would have given me a Tahoe or Yukon if they had one, but the prev-gen Arcadia was as spacious as those full size SUVs. Doesn't sound like you'll need the third row. I'd probably go for a well-equipped Grand Cherokee Limited, Murano SV, or Edge Titanium instead of a full size SUV. If you're driving or parking in Waikiki you'll want something smaller than a Tahoe.

In terms of taking something from the Exec section -- my guess would be that they'll be OK if you ask nicely. I've picked from the Exec stalls with a Premium reservation and they were fine with that. However, they did not adjust my reservation or rate, as they said my rate would have been higher.

Not sure which part of the airport you'll be arriving at and how much luggage you'll have, but I'd probably leave my family at baggage claim, pick up the car by myself, and then pick them up.

Last edited by qs933; Apr 3, 2017 at 10:54 pm