FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No - a five year old should not sit by himself
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:20 pm
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
To be fair, AC SOP would be to make the necessary adjustments to seat assignments during manual check-in or at the gate to ensure the child is seated with the parent. So the automatic seat assignment really doesn't have any meaning.
Please be realistic. AC flights are regularly oversold and at the time of year and route booked is a certainty. You assume that a seat change is easy to do. It may not be, especially with no availability. The parent is being a responsible prudent person by taking care of this now and not waiting to play seat lotto. Keep in mind that had OP waited until then and a problem ensued, OP would be labeled an idiot, and a bad parent as per previous posts on FT on similar issues.

Originally Posted by mapleg
Sounds like the guy was just using a (slightly misguided) sense of humour, because he is correct. If their IT worked properly, net result would be fewer jobs for people like him

Kind of depends how hard you complained---I try to take it easy on the phone staff. They just sail on the ship--they didn't build it.
Staff can be quite obnoxious when reading from script. I attempted to change a flight from HKG and the agent was an absolute jerk. Not only did he chew his gum loudly in my ear, he didn't understand the route or the fare structure. I dealt with it another way. However, 30 minutes wait, 20 minutes wasted on phone with Cletus and I realized I should bill AC for my time.

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
Couldn't your 5 year old have just switched seats with one in row 16? I do understand your frustration with loosing your row 13 seats, did you get them back?
"I would have booked my 2017 Xmas break now if AC hadn't raised the price 40%. My business will also be going elsewhere if they don't drop again soon."
I will be doing the same for my annual trip to the Caribbean next winter since AC has raised the return fare by 39%! Since it's a rouge flight WS is a good alternative.

'The higher cost is due to the excellent and high quality meals served on board. As well, the additional investment in cabin cleanliness and spiffy hats for Rouge FAs makes it worth it.