FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A possible mini hub in east coast (JFK)?
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:07 pm
John Wang

Not just for me. I choose DL's 12noon FLL-SEA over AS's early morning or late afternoon flights because of its convenient schedule. Many family with small kids prefer it too. It is a valid feedback from customers. AS did not do it before before it couldn't. Now it has ability to make it possible, of course I would suggest it.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So you're saying AS needs to optimize their schedules for your family vacations, and quit paying attention to West Coast-based business travelers?

I'm sure they'll get right on that.

VX has one JFK-FLL daily. Presumably if more made sense they'd add more, but NE Atlantic-Florida is not an uncrowded market: UA, DL, AA, WN, NK, B6, G4. Damn near everyone flies these routes.

I would tend to think AS is going to be prioritizing California and integrating VX over "hey, let's add a market everyone and their cousin is already flying, oh, and out of airports on the East Coast where we don't have bases or hubs".

DAL is gate restricted (there are no common use gates AS can expand to), and VX already flies LGA/DCA-DAL, but LGA and DCA are slot-restricted airports as well, plus they have perimeter rules that block you from anything other than midcon or East Coast routes. Switching those DAL flights to FLL/MCO-DAL (and then figuring out what to do with DCA/LGA slots you now need to have service too, and can't serve from any AS hub) just so you can fly your family to Disneyworld at a convenient time seems kind of... strange, given that WN, NK and AA serve those markets just fine from Dallas. You're trading decent business markets for Dallas (Washington DC and New York) for people taking vacations to see Mickey. I mean... really?