FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:41 pm
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I'm starting to think some hotels are trying shenanigans with the new award pricing or not properly adjusting award pricing.

A hotel in Miami which is a Cat 5, has a cheap rate of $100 per night but is charging 31000 points instead of 30000. A next hotel in Fort Lauderdale (Cat 6) has a rate of almost $140, but rooms are pricing below 30000 points. There's no way a Category 5 with a $40 lower base price is charging slightly more points for a standard room as compared to a Category 6 hotel with a higher rate.
Is the Cat 5 room a standard room or above it? If its above a standard then those rooms always cost more pts and the .005 ratio wouldnt apply. Ive found plenty of cases where it should have been say 21200 and they set it at 22000, would have been nice if they set it up that till xx499 ig gets lowered and from xx500 it gets raised.

then again the pts are offset by the reg rate many people have codes that gets the reg rate reduced, so one needs to 1st find the cheapest rate they can book and then see what the pt amount is. Which is why I doubt I will be having many pt stays if any at all in the US.Exception being when I want a particuliar hotel and its pts are at its cap due to the very high rate being charged. Outside NA where most of my codes arent worth much it will be all pts