FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Protecting Electronic Devices and Stored Information from Customs Searches
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:31 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guflyer
So based upon the NBC article (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...h-your-n732746), does this mean that things from one's phone's past are never really deleted, even with Apple phones? What if someone purchased a used phone--are they then responsible for everything that the past user may have done (their geographic coordinates, content on phone, etc)?

Thus there is no way for one to sterilize one's phone?
From the various articles that I have read recently there seem to be tools in the hands of government that can recover data from phones and other personal electronics that most would think would be unrecoverable. Even wiping (what, like with a cloth or something) the device does not clear the data. If data has ever been present on the device then assume it is still there.

Assuming you have nothing of a criminal nature then all you are protecting is your right to privacy which I believe is worth protecting. If you have information that is classified or company sensitive then I see no reason to help disclose that information. Figure out how best to safeguard your data that may likely be viewed by others when crossing the border.