FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Protecting Electronic Devices and Stored Information from Customs Searches
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:40 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...h-your-n732746

American Citizens: U.S. Border Agents Can Search Your Cellphone

The article linked above is truly frightening. Apparently the courts have rendered the 4th Amendment moot.
It's best to make it difficult for the government to too easily snoop into the lives of free persons. When crossing the US border, that means not handing over access passcodes for encrypted devices/information. CBP can take the device and search it -- they can even copy and try to crack into its contents -- but they can assume my passcodes won't be given. They can also assume that I make a practice of wiping clean my travel device for my cross-border trips.

Originally Posted by guflyer
According to this article, this is not the case as forensic software can access all deleted photos, messages, etc.
That depends. They can't always access all that deleted information. And even if in some magical world they could access all the deleted data on devices transported across borders, let's just say there are ways to use devices that access information that doesn't get stored on the devices being transported. We still have ways to frustrate nosy busybodies.