FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some suggestions, please: Fine Dining in Chicago
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:11 am
Sweet Willie
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UNITED959

The other "dedicated" fine dining spots I enjoy:
- North Pond
Dined at the 1 Michelin star restaurant North Pond last night. There are very few restaurants in Chicago with a view like North Pond. (Take a look at their website to get an idea of the setting)

Our table's service was fine, a little cold to start with but then again my Pop has lost some "filters" as he gets older so I can imagine the wait staff might be taken aback by his brusque nature. I would say that service became inattentive (a bit) towards the very end of the meal when the restaurant was busy. On a side note, the waiter was removing wine glasses while the sommelier would put them back, a little funny the back/forth.

Amuse bouche: foie gras mousse, with parmesan cracker, pickled ramp, cranberry reduction. Enjoyable

Starters:
Egg, Spinach - Soft-Boiled Hen Egg, “Tandoori” Chicken, Ricotta, Spiced Spinach Coulis, Bosc Pear, Seeds, Naan Cracker

Foie Gras, Sprouts - Seared Duck Foie Gras, Brussels Sprouts Butter, Calvados Apple Boules, Fried Shallots, Cider Syrup, Almonds, Brioche

Endive, Sardine -Red, Green Belgian Endives; Citrus-Endive Marmalade, Sardines a la Plancha, Dill-Caper Cream, Blood Orange, Caraway Straw

Carrot, Shrimp Bisque - Carrot Bisque, Crab Croquette, Oregon Pink Shrimp, Celery, Pumpernickel Crumpet, Earl Grey Espuma

The egg/spinach starter was sublime. Foie gras seared perfectly. Really enjoyed the Sardine/Endive salad, VERY powerful flavors. Our table didn't appreciate the bisque, the croquette's fried exterior taste overpowered a nice bisque.

Mains:
Tilefish, Lemon - Grilled Golden Tilefish, Purple & Dauphine Potatoes, Smoked Meyer Lemon Curd, Leeks, Capers,Chips, Parsley jus

Venison, Root Vegetable - Charred Venison Loin, Purple-Top Turnip Brulée, Red Cabbage, Apples Celeri Rave, Baby Carrots, Red Wine Syrup

Tilefish dish was unremarkable.

Venison dish was terrific, each ingredient popped.

North Pond
2610 NORTH CANNON DRIVE
CHICAGO, IL
http://northpondrestaurant.com/
-