FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complaints / Rants / Problems with QR
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:46 am
richtemark

So now I can happily add my experience with the QR customer service. Sorry it became a bit long but the story is quite entertaining, in my opinion.

Flying from Beijing to Berlin via Doha last night, our plane was held over Doha at arrival due to weather conditions (it was raining; according to the flight attendant, that regularly causes chaos in Doha because "they are not used to rain"). Captain later decided to divert to Dubai World; we landed there, refueled and, after one hour, flew back to Doha.

By the time we reached Doha, our connection to Berlin was already gone. We were greeted by QR ground staff at the gate and given new boarding passes for the next flight to Berlin at 2pm in the afternoon (it was 8.45am). We were even informed that we could have a complimentary meal in the Marche Restaurant. We ate, we went to the lounge and when we later wanted to go to the gate for boarding we found out to our surprise that, on this Saturday, there are no other flights to Berlin except the one we missed in the morning. The lady at the gate had given us boarding passes for the next day.

So we went to the transfer desk. Initially, we were offered a hotel voucher. Since we needed (and, by the time I am writing this, still need) to reach Berlin as soon as possible, we asked for a different connection via another airport (there were plenty of flights to different cities in Europe). The service agent offered us a connection with the 5:10pm flight to Vienna and then onwards with Austrian Airlines so we would reach Berlin by 9:45pm. Perfect! He asked us to wait until he got the reservation confirmation by Austrian Airlines.

45 Minutes later I came back to the service agent who was still waiting for the confirmation. I told him that, in the meantime, I found out that there was no flight from Doha to Vienna on this day. "No No", he assured me, "of course there is". I asked him to show me on the departure monitors. Long story short, he could not: there is no flight to Vienna on Saturday afternoon. The service agent showed us to another service agent and got back to do other duties (playing with his smartphone, it is).

The next service agent asked us why we did not come earlier because there was a flight to Istanbul that we could have taken; from Istanbul she could have booked us to Berlin in the evening. Well, what could I say?

Anyway, this service agent again searched her computer and came to the conclusion that there was no other possibility to go to Berlin earlier than taking the Sunday afternoon flight. I then showed here that there was indeed an earlier connection via the night flight (around 2am) from Doha to Munich. It then took another 10 minutes just to convince her to book us a Lufthansa Ticket from Munich to Berlin on Sunday morning (and not Sunday afternoon which would have included another 8hrs stopover in Munich).

To sum up: Qatar offers great service in the air, especially in Business Class, but I also came to the conclusion that the people they employ on their service lines and their home hub have absolutely no idea of what they are doing. I could tell another story how I spend, up to now, 2:30 hrs on the phone just to add 2 animals in hold to an existing QR booking but that will be the story for another day.