FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:19 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lamphs
My original point was that the RIDA is not just related to air travel. It apparently affects entrance to all federal facilities if you do not have a federal government ID.

I think we can agree that the states (like it or not) have had several years to conform to the standard and a handful of states have not done so. Those states are only hurting their own citizens.

As far as I know, a passport or a GE card are the only forms of a 'national' ID. And being fairly well traveled (~50 countries), I know of no country where I have not had to use my passport for air and train travel and sometimes have to provide it multiple times for the same segment, i.e. check-in, immigration, customs, lounge entrance, boarding, etc.

I tend to agree with some of the recent posts. A DL has a lot of information on it - useful to others for nefarious activities. However, I have similar concerns about my passport; in fact when I am asked to provide a copy of my passport, especially at lodging, I always ask under what authority.

Federal overreach? Absolutely, but that argument could be made for so many government functions that affect us everyday. A DL/state ID standard is fairly far down on my list of overreach concerns.

I agree that the TSA (and similar programs throughout the world) are in part for show, but those programs are not going away.

So what is the practical solution? A national identity card or a mandatory passport?
Neither of those things supports a free people. No form of ID should be needed for travel within the United States. Papers please does not fit with my idea of what America was meant to be.