FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:46 pm
lamphs

My original point was that the RIDA is not just related to air travel. It apparently affects entrance to all federal facilities if you do not have a federal government ID.

I think we can agree that the states (like it or not) have had several years to conform to the standard and a handful of states have not done so. Those states are only hurting their own citizens.

As far as I know, a passport or a GE card are the only forms of a 'national' ID. And being fairly well traveled (~50 countries), I know of no country where I have not had to use my passport for air and train travel and sometimes have to provide it multiple times for the same segment, i.e. check-in, immigration, customs, lounge entrance, boarding, etc.

I tend to agree with some of the recent posts. A DL has a lot of information on it - useful to others for nefarious activities. However, I have similar concerns about my passport; in fact when I am asked to provide a copy of my passport, especially at lodging, I always ask under what authority.

Federal overreach? Absolutely, but that argument could be made for so many government functions that affect us everyday. A DL/state ID standard is fairly far down on my list of overreach concerns.

I agree that the TSA (and similar programs throughout the world) are in part for show, but those programs are not going away.

So what is the practical solution? A national identity card or a mandatory passport?