FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two nations separated by a common car transmission (automatic vs standard (manual))
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:55 pm
IMOA

I've only ever owned manual cars which is handy as my current car is (was) only available in manual which is a very rare thing these days. Actually, it might be the only car in the last few years that was manual only.

I'll certainly acknowledge that automatics are a hell of a lot better now than 10 years ago, not just the dual clutch boxes either but transmissions like the ZF 8 speed which goes in pretty much everything semi premium these days is a really imp[ressive transmission. However I simply like the control and involvement that a clutch and gearstick provides and even in serious traffic I don't have any issues/difficulties/frustrations with it - it's second nature and I prefer a manual in traffic as the clutch gives you much finer control at crawling pace.

So while I do acknowledge that autos are getting a lot better these days I still think I'm at least 20 years away from buying one.