FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Blow avios balance on 1st??? WWYD?
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:12 am
Firemin

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Blow avios balance on 1st??? WWYD?

Hi

I am soon due to relocate with my family (me, wife and two children) to Hong Kong, and we are considering burning some/most of our avios balance to get us out there... trouble is, we have a bit of a conundrum:

We have three 2-4-1 vouchers (one mine, two of my wife's), and about 400k avios to spend. The vouchers expire Feb 2018, April 2018 and Feb 2019. My employer is prepared to pay for premium economy flights for us all. As far as I can see it my potential options are:

1. Let work pay for premium economy and UUA to business, saving our vouchers (to be used when???). This only works if work will book me onto BA flights (however BA is not the cheapest premium seat available on the day of travel)
2. Book CW seats, using two vouchers and around half our avios, leaving us with one voucher remaining for future use.
3. Book First seats, using two vouchers and virtually all of our avios, leaving us with one voucher and little avios.

Sufficient reward seats are currently available in both cabins for our departure date, and the company would be reimbursing us for the equivalent (one-way!) premium economy seat!

Now we have flown F before (777 to Seattle) but due to delays on our connecting flight from DUB we weren't able to visit the Flounge/Concord room or use the spa etc. Option 3 would give us this chance, and in an A380...

However, this is also a nighttime flight, so would we really make the best use of the flight. Also, our youngest will only just have turned 2, so being able to remain close to keep him in his seat would be handy (thinking EF pair in CW), which might not be straighforward in First...

My job will involve several return flights a year around Asia so should be some avios earning opportunities on CX, but I doubt we will be able to build any sort of significant balance to make effective use of more than one voucher.

Would be grateful to hear some opinions and/or suggestions from those more learned/experienced than me...