Blow avios balance on 1st??? WWYD?

Old Feb 15, 17, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Blow avios balance on 1st??? WWYD?

Hi

I am soon due to relocate with my family (me, wife and two children) to Hong Kong, and we are considering burning some/most of our avios balance to get us out there... trouble is, we have a bit of a conundrum:

We have three 2-4-1 vouchers (one mine, two of my wife's), and about 400k avios to spend. The vouchers expire Feb 2018, April 2018 and Feb 2019. My employer is prepared to pay for premium economy flights for us all. As far as I can see it my potential options are:

1. Let work pay for premium economy and UUA to business, saving our vouchers (to be used when???). This only works if work will book me onto BA flights (however BA is not the cheapest premium seat available on the day of travel)
2. Book CW seats, using two vouchers and around half our avios, leaving us with one voucher remaining for future use.
3. Book First seats, using two vouchers and virtually all of our avios, leaving us with one voucher and little avios.

Sufficient reward seats are currently available in both cabins for our departure date, and the company would be reimbursing us for the equivalent (one-way!) premium economy seat!

Now we have flown F before (777 to Seattle) but due to delays on our connecting flight from DUB we weren't able to visit the Flounge/Concord room or use the spa etc. Option 3 would give us this chance, and in an A380...

However, this is also a nighttime flight, so would we really make the best use of the flight. Also, our youngest will only just have turned 2, so being able to remain close to keep him in his seat would be handy (thinking EF pair in CW), which might not be straighforward in First...

My job will involve several return flights a year around Asia so should be some avios earning opportunities on CX, but I doubt we will be able to build any sort of significant balance to make effective use of more than one voucher.

Would be grateful to hear some opinions and/or suggestions from those more learned/experienced than me...
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:17 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
I would some them for F, especially if don't think you will build up the miles quick enough. I just spent mine for my wife & I. We leave 03/21 for DEL in F. :-)
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Hong Kong is pretty much the best place in the world to be based with a nice balance of Avios. You can fly around Asia with Cathay without paying surcharges. And you get nice J cabins quite often, as opposed to the uselessness of BA's Club Europe.

As far as the 2-for-1s, I would consider saving them for trips back to the UK. By flying ex-HKG you can spend those Avios on BA metal without any surcharge.

So just UUA on the way out and save the Avios and 2-for-1s for later.
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:23 am

I'm often at odds with the majority with these questions, but I'd go for CW and save some Avios for trips round Asia.
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:23 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I would take the employer's PE flight (no point wasting Avios upgrading kids), then use the Avios to take trips on Cathay around Asia with no YQ
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:27 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Do expect to be returning regularly to the UK? The amex vouchers can only be used FROM the UK, so if not you should effectively be writing them off.
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
I never feel like F is worth the extra Avios over CW, especially at night. Save some Avios for trips around Asia instead and enjoy your cheaper night of sleep in CW. Will your employer reimburse you if you use Avios or 241?
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestions so far:

We are likely to return to the UK once a year tops, but we are more likely to holiday around Asia.

I thought the restriction on the 241s was that they had to be BA flights (but not necessarily originating in the UK)...

We definitely want CW as a minimum (proper beds on overnight flights for the kids are a godsend!)

I don't know much about my employer's travel policy (e.g. whether they are a member of On Business), because I normally book my own flights (for max avios/tp accrual), but they use a TA (Portmans). If for arguments sake they used OB points to book our flights, would we still be able to UUA???
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Yes my employer will reimburse us the cost of the cheapest available (one-way!!!) premium economy flights if we want to book our own flights...which Google flights currently shows as >7000!!!
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would take the morning flight in Premium Economy on CX

Given the price of PE, if can get reimbursed, EK has a €1,835 one way business fare from Amsterdam
Old Feb 15, 17, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Please, please do not blow all those Avios on one trip in F with BA.

As several others have already said (and from personal experience), there is more benefit and overall sense of value/satisfaction to be had from using your points in regional J (ie. proper Biz class seating) within Asia on the likes of CX
Old Feb 15, 17, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Firemin View Post

I thought the restriction on the 241s was that they had to be BA flights (but not necessarily originating in the UK)...
No, they need to originate in the UK
Old Feb 15, 17, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
Please, please do not blow all those Avios on one trip in F with BA.

As several others have already said (and from personal experience), there is more benefit and overall sense of value/satisfaction to be had from using your points in regional J (ie. proper Biz class seating) within Asia on the likes of CX
Wholeheartedly agree.
Old Feb 15, 17, 5:44 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
If you are moving to Hong Kong, save your avios and use them on CX! I would rather redeem avios in CX economy than on BA F.
Old Feb 15, 17, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you know when your next trip back to the UK will be, can you buy RT tickets now and have the employer pay for the cost of one way in PE?

OTOH, for future trips, which direction is cheaper? My guess would be that BA is cheaper exHKG but this probably reverses if you fly exEU. CX might be cheaper if you start in London.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: