FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to specify long layover?
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:27 pm
moosehooey

Programs: Star Alliance
How to specify long layover?

I am looking to book a flight from JFK to CEB (Cebu, Philippines). I can't sleep on planes, and I want to spend the night in the ICN (Inchon, South Korea) airport hotel, which worked out very well for me in the past.

In looking at travel sites, they seem to have fewer listings for long-layover flights than in the past. I can tell by the time to this destination, if it is 21-24 hours, it's a short layover, but there are flights with 32-40 hour total lengths, which means a nice long layover.

Some sites let you specify a maximum time but not a minimum. I tried looking on the airlines sites (Asiana and Korean Air) but they're not much help either. I also tried looking up the individual flights (for example, ICN to CEB), but this often generated errors on the websites, and in any case, I wouldn't know how to combine them into an itinerary even if I did find them.

I know there's some kind of way to "link" flights so that if your first flight is delayed and you miss the second one, you're not on your own. I don't know what this is called or how to do it, though.

It all seems so complicated, and the different aggregators (like expedia, skyscanner, kayak) show different combinations of flights, so there's not even any complete list of what's available. The whole system seems flaky and inconsistent, if not malicious (the thing with raising rates if you look for the same flight again).

Is this something I'd have to get an old-fashioned travel agent to do, or is there some way to look at the individual flights on my own, or to specify a longer layover when searching?