FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:15 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
[INDENT]1. More flexible Points & Money –Starting in late February, Hilton Honors members can use a flexible payment slider to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to pay for their stay, any time, with no blackout dates. Members can still opt to use all Points on award stays and elite members can continue to enjoy the popular 5th Night Free benefit.

Our Points prices will also become more flexible. When demand and room rates are lower, Points prices will flex and go lower than before. As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.
Thanks Lauren. Some interesting changes. Somehow, I've got the feeling that the above point no 1 will not be as beneficial as you make out, being revenue based now. Some of the present low category hotels often have standard rooms at quite expensive room rates and this makes the present low category award rate very advantageous and is one of the benefits of the scheme. When the award rate is based upon the room price, I would imagine the points required will rise substantially. Devaluation by the back door comes to mind. Hope I'm wrong!