FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Kauai Beach Hotel for 23 month old
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:19 pm
ILuvParis
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by umafuaba
My wife, 23 month old daughter, and I will be heading to Kauai the third week of April 2017 (Easter week). When my wife and I went to Maui in 2011 we stayed at the Westin in Kanapaali (which is known for its awesome pool), but we spent the entire trip lounging on the beach and marveling at how wonderful it was to swim in the ocean there. We also couldn't believe how lacking the crowds were on the beach (seemed like everybody was there for the pool).

Since then, we've been craving a similar experience. Thus, for this trip our main criteria is finding a hotel that has the easiest beach access and has waters that are calm enough for a toddler to wade in safely (with supervision of course). I think we've narrowed down our hotel choice to the Sheraton in Poipu and the Marriott near Lihue. I've read the Sheraton has the best beach access, but I've also read that the calmer waters at the Marriott might be more suitable for our little daughter.

What say you, experts of flyertalk?
The Sheraton is also within walking distance of Poipu Beach, which has a kiddie beach that is well protected. Even closer to Poipu Beach, right next to it, as a matter of fact, is the Marriott Waihohai (which is a time share, but I understand one can use points or cash to rent rooms just like a Marriott hotel).

The Marriott in Lihue, as indicated above, is next to a beach with very calm waters and is probably your best choice of those locations logistically.

The beach at the Grand Hyatt is very rough, however, right next to it is a salt water pool with fake sand and a "beach" experience. You can see the ocean if that's part of the experience you want. You can also take inflatables into it, as well as into the fresh water pool. They are all right there together.

If you're not a Starwood person, the Hyatt is the superior property and the one I would choose for a small child.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jan 17, 2017 at 7:29 pm