Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Kauai Beach Hotel for 23 month old

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Best Kauai Beach Hotel for 23 month old

My wife, 23 month old daughter, and I will be heading to Kauai the third week of April 2017 (Easter week). When my wife and I went to Maui in 2011 we stayed at the Westin in Kanapaali (which is known for its awesome pool), but we spent the entire trip lounging on the beach and marveling at how wonderful it was to swim in the ocean there. We also couldn't believe how lacking the crowds were on the beach (seemed like everybody was there for the pool).

Since then, we've been craving a similar experience. Thus, for this trip our main criteria is finding a hotel that has the easiest beach access and has waters that are calm enough for a toddler to wade in safely (with supervision of course). I think we've narrowed down our hotel choice to the Sheraton in Poipu and the Marriott near Lihue. I've read the Sheraton has the best beach access, but I've also read that the calmer waters at the Marriott might be more suitable for our little daughter.

What say you, experts of flyertalk?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
We go to Kauai every year and have a 2.5 year old now. So, we have some experience in this regard.

Both of the hotels you mentioned are good choices - the beaches are beautiful and great for kids - but the water may not be accessible to a toddler depending on the wave conditions - both of those beaches can have big waves on any given day and the pitch of the beach into the water is steeper than Kanapaali.

The best places for toddlers to swim on Kauai are the kids pools that have been built with large rocks around them. The most notable is Lydgate Park which is a kids dream with a big playground, an open field, a nice beach, picnic tables and a kids pool. Used to be there was no hotel near it - so you had to drive there - but now there is a newly renovated Hilton Garden Inn there (Wailua Bay). I've never stayed there - but we go to Lydgate Park a lot.

The other Kids pool is also on the coast just north of Lydgate park next to a religious site. It's a local secret and not many tourists know about it. You access it from a path that runs south from the hotels on Coconut Beach i.e. Kauai Coast Resort, the Courtyard at Coconut Beach etc.

But, the choice to stay on the east coast is a different experience than either of the hotels you suggested. None of the hotels are at the level of the Marriott or Sheraton, you will spend more time in the car, and will have a more local experience as oppossed to a hotel experience.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
We loved the Kauai Marriott and there were many family groups there with kids of all ages. It's very family friendly so you wouldn't feel alone. The pool is huge and steps from the calm bay beach.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by umafuaba
My wife, 23 month old daughter, and I will be heading to Kauai the third week of April 2017 (Easter week). When my wife and I went to Maui in 2011 we stayed at the Westin in Kanapaali (which is known for its awesome pool), but we spent the entire trip lounging on the beach and marveling at how wonderful it was to swim in the ocean there. We also couldn't believe how lacking the crowds were on the beach (seemed like everybody was there for the pool).

Since then, we've been craving a similar experience. Thus, for this trip our main criteria is finding a hotel that has the easiest beach access and has waters that are calm enough for a toddler to wade in safely (with supervision of course). I think we've narrowed down our hotel choice to the Sheraton in Poipu and the Marriott near Lihue. I've read the Sheraton has the best beach access, but I've also read that the calmer waters at the Marriott might be more suitable for our little daughter.

What say you, experts of flyertalk?
The Sheraton is also within walking distance of Poipu Beach, which has a kiddie beach that is well protected. Even closer to Poipu Beach, right next to it, as a matter of fact, is the Marriott Waihohai (which is a time share, but I understand one can use points or cash to rent rooms just like a Marriott hotel).

The Marriott in Lihue, as indicated above, is next to a beach with very calm waters and is probably your best choice of those locations logistically.

The beach at the Grand Hyatt is very rough, however, right next to it is a salt water pool with fake sand and a "beach" experience. You can see the ocean if that's part of the experience you want. You can also take inflatables into it, as well as into the fresh water pool. They are all right there together.

If you're not a Starwood person, the Hyatt is the superior property and the one I would choose for a small child.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jan 17, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:38 am
Suspended

Grand Hyatt Kaui is awesome. The beach is not for kids though. My kids prefer to stay at the pool anyway.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by codesinvan

The best places for toddlers to swim on Kauai are the kids pools that have been built with large rocks around them. The most notable is Lydgate Park which is a kids dream with a big playground, an open field, a nice beach, picnic tables and a kids pool. Used to be there was no hotel near it - so you had to drive there - but now there is a newly renovated Hilton Garden Inn there (Wailua Bay).
This Hilton Garden Inn would be a good choice, for the reasons mentioned above.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone. We returned from our trip yesterday. We ended up selecting the Sheraton in Poipu. We cruised through the valet stands at the Marriott in Lihue and the St. Regis and thought the vibes weren't for us. I highly recommend the Sheraton. I also posted about my experience in the Sheraton Kauai Master Thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28225575-post318.html

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread and provided suggestions.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by umafuaba
We cruised through the valet stands at the Marriott in Lihue and the St. Regis and thought the vibes weren't for us.
Can you provide some details? Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Can you provide some details? Thanks!
On our second or third day we walked through the lobby of the Marriott to check it out. It was a lovely hotel, but it was a little sterile for what we wanted out of our Kauai experience. The Marriott is several stories high and reminds me more of the hotels we saw in Maui, whereas the Sheraton is a grouping of several 4 story buildings. We didn't get out of our cars at the St. Regis, but driving around the whole Princeville area I got the same "sterile" vibe. I'm sure both of these properties are awesome, but by the time we got there to check them out we were already pretty enchanted by the more cozy-like feeling of the Sheraton. I think 5 years ago (before kids) and 20 years from now I'll probably be more inclined to take advantage of the St. Regis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.