FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:08 pm
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I didn't see any pictures of the pool on the website, although it says it does have one. As a leisure traveler that's #1 for a hotel in Hawaii for us.
The official listing at Marriott.com indicates there's an outdoor swimming pool, with towels provided. And the details posted by Sharon include, "The pool is the ultimate amenity, lush greenery, lounge seating and teak accents surround this communal gathering place."

Currently, TripAdvisor has taken its old listing for the defunct Aqua Waikiki Wave and labeled it as ‘Okina, Autograph Collection, Honolulu. (I would hope that TripAdvisor will soon wipe the old photos and old reviews because they really don't apply to a thoroughly renovated hotel with new management.)

A photo from the Aqua Waikiki Wave at TripAdvisor shows a sad, small swimming pool with a depressing pool deck. Even if the pool and its deck are stylishly rebuilt with high-end materials and surrounded by tropical flowers, it will still be small because there's no room to expand (short of tearing down an adjacent building).

Perhaps the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection will be a lovely boutique hotel and a great base for exploring Waikiki -- but I find it hard to believe that the pool will qualify as the "ultimate amenity."

If a great pool is your number one priority for a Hawaii vacation, I would look elsewhere.

Perhaps the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection will do something miraculous with its pool. But I wouldn't count on it. If the renovation included tearing down an adjacent building to create an amazing outdoor pool, I would think there would be renderings of it on the website.