FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TIP: More hidden features of ITA
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:41 am
FrankTalk

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Calchas
That's what I mean. It requires the prime code of the fare covering the sector in question to be I. [That doesn't mean that the fare needs to start with the letter I-, just that the prime code is I.]
Yes, but this is not "setting the fare", at least not more than changing the date or route or class of service, because diff availability can also "set the fare". /F carrier.origin+destination.farecode sets the fare, but not the booking codes. /f bc=x sets the booking code (edit: RBD I guess) on at least one of the legs. These are not the same.

Then let us change the example a little. If I specify /f bc=J on DUB-LHR and nothing on LHR-DUB, and don't pick the EI-operated flight, now both legs are booked into full fare J. But according to point (2) of your logic, a much cheaper I- fare would suffice because it permits booking into J class on DUB-LHR as required.

According to my understanding, I have specified the prime code for DUB-LHR must be J, and in this case the cheapest option is to get a J through-fare on DUB-NYC, so both sectors go into J.
This is, again, because DUB-LHR even in J will not allow combinations with transatlantic fares. As soon as ITA can break the fare it will price both ways and will give you the cheapest option.

Going over to UA, let's see these two cases. MKE-ORD-LHR-ORD, with MKE-ORD specified /F BC=A. If you select cheapest fares UA will book MKE-ORD in A and the rest of the itin in Y, because 1) it can break the fare in ORD and 2) MKE-ORD in A and ORD-LHR in cheapest possible is less than MKE-LHR in A.

Should you select First Class for cabin (or force A on the ORD-LHR leg too) you'll have an A through fare that costs more:

Now, it's time for some self flagellation as well. Seems /f BC=x doesn't force the actual booking code for any legs but the RBD for at least one leg. If we pick a flight with no F cabin and force A ITA will book in Y with an UP fare:

On the dual inventory fares, the higher inventory class is usually the prime code despite the fact that the code starts with the lower class. That may vary by carrier or how they implemented it of course.
This might be true for most carriers/fares but some carriers/fares do not confirm and these outliers are some of the most interesting things to use.