FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanresorts Thread 2017
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:52 pm
BlackHappy

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
aa213bb, that kind of thing exists many places. and considering aman summer palace is government owned, i would not be surprised if amanfayun is also goverment owned, or at least partially.

0bsidian, context is what staff said (vague) not government etc. problem is however many languages aa213bb and others speak, kind of hard to speak every local language and 99% of the time things are not said where they can be overheard.

unclear whether some of it was told directly to BlackHappy, and if it was, whether BlackHappy was seen as same ethnicity as staff would be additional factor.
Just some context on how we heard it:

We were on the car with the tour guide and the driver. They were talking about occupancy rates being low--especially during the G20 summit. Then, they mentioned the Xinjiang guest I described. This was all in Mandarin and they knew that we could understand because we've been speaking Mandarin to them the whole time. When we got back to the room, my wife and I confirmed we both heard correctly because it was a shock. No, the comment was not directed towards us, but it was obvious we would hear it.
- I am Taiwanese-American and checked in with a US passport. (Maybe they thought they could provide a preview of what would come with our next presidency? )
- For better or for worse, I do not think this is Aman-specific. I believe this is a mandate from the government for all hotels to report certain people to the authorities.
- This might only happen during certain events (ie, G20, etc). Just a guess.
- Amanfayun is partly owned by the temples surrounding it, which are owned by the government.