FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:49 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wooglin
I understand if I cancel a standard award ticket from AAA-BBB-CCC, and I don't redeposit the miles... I have 1 year from original date of departure to re-use the ticket.

Do I have to book the same AAA-BBB-CCC routing, or any AAA-CCC routing that has Standard Award availability?
1 year from ticketing and any routing can be used, need not involve AAA or BBB or CCC

Originally Posted by lewinr
Hi, I'm just looking to confirm my understanding of the rules:

I have a 1-way award ticket that I cancelled approx a year ago. I did not redeposit the miles.

To reuse the miles without needing to do a redeposit and pay a fee, is it correct that I must fly the one-way within 1 year of the original ticket and I cannot just rebook the ticket within 1 year for a later date past 1 year? In either case, which date is used the date of the original outbound flight or the date of the cancellation?

(As far as I understood I must complete the new flight within 1 year of the original flight, but I'm looking to be 100% sure that is true and there is no work-around.)

Thanks for your help.
You must change within the one year, travel can be outside of the year. A new ticket will be issued.
The date is based on the day the tickets were purchased / ticketed.