FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Back Visa Card(2017)
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:35 am
tbradnc

I just want to make another comment about these cards, and MS in general, that speaks to the larger point I'm trying to make.

These 5% CB cards are not like buying a CD from a bank.

These 5% CB cards are a gimmick, cooked up by by a gift card company.

I get the sense that some people overexpose themselves buying these cards thinking they've found a guaranteed way to make $25 doing what amounts to a trick. It's not a problem for someone to clearly game the system by shuffling gift cards but it is a problem if the gaming doesn't pay off as expected. I have a problem with that thought process. MS has a lot in common with cat-and-mouse. Sometimes you're the cat and sometimes you're the mouse. Thinking you get to always be the cat is a real setup for disappointment.

This deal, where the use of a 2% cash back card covers all your upfront costs is as riskless as it gets. Worse case, the deal ends suddenly for any number of reasons and you're stuck breaking even so I'm willing to play it indefinitely since the likelihood of losing working capital is very low.

Reading some posts I get the feeling that there are at least a few people who if they do not get their 5% think it's the same as if someone stole $25 out of their bank account. It's not.

If this deal, and getting or not getting 5% is a major contributor to stress then it's good to learn it now.

....and I think the 5% will be paid -eventually- or I wouldn't bother.

Last edited by tbradnc; Jan 3, 2017 at 6:49 am Reason: typos and grammar