FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JetSmarter - discussion and experiences
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:09 pm
dval44

Originally Posted by cakiwi

My quick 'apples to apples' comparison would be as follows:
Private: drive to HPN, give yourself only 15 minutes, fly, and into the city. (40m + 15m + 4h45m + 25m)
Commercial: drive to JFK, give yourself only 60 minutes, fly, deplane, into the city (same end point) (40m + 60m + 5h + 25m + 25m)
My problem with this math is the penalty for missing each is so different. One is waiting an hour or two for the next plane, and the other is literally being charged $5,000. So while 15 minutes is "enough," you are one traffic jam away from losing $5k. Also, I have pre check and rarely spend more than 5-10 minutes going through security.

Onto some other thoughts:

Any ideas on what the next 12 months will look like?

I would personally love to see them add more empty legs. Maybe NetJets, maybe some others? Any ideas? Any new routes? Do they have any stated goals?

Does anyone understand the pricing algorithm they use for charters? Anecdotally, I've found that 2 days out is the cheapest, and the same route on the same planes is more expensive a week out, month out, etc. Kind of strange.

Does anyone else have any good sources of empty legs? I check JetSmarter, 8760, and starting today "SuiteDeals" on Jet Suite. Any other good deals to be checking?

Last JS experience was being left at the FBO with a canceled flight and a "sorry" 5 mins before takeoff. So looking for something awesome to get me going again