FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: CIBC Aerogold Infinite Privilege
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:03 pm
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I love my Amex card. Unlike Visa, I have never ever had a hacking event or bogus charges. Multiple occurrences. Amex is accepted by the airlines, hotel chains and car rental agencies and that's where my big spend is. Also works well at big retailers. When Amex doesn't work I use my cash back CC.

My experience with Amex is;
- More positive and helpful call center
- Superior website, annual spend report
- No obnoxious sales calls from agents trying to sell inappropriate products
- Greater willingness to assist in a transaction dispute. (cibc screwed me once on a false charge and it cost me to have it corrected.)
- Amex has better controls. 4 day approval and delivery on my card. Never refused a transaction. Higher intelligent limits. TD and CIBC took too long to issue the cards and acted like they were doing me a favour in giving me a $5,000 limit despite my qualifying for their private banking divisions, each of whom was willing to issue cards with rather high limits.

The reality in Canada is that CIBC has a negative reputation on customer service. It needs something to try and rebuild and retain their customer base. RBC and BMO have historically had better reputations and don't need a credit card crutch. (I know some on FT are happy with TD and CIBC. ). The best aspect of TD is its branch service access. However, a CC holder is not looking for operating hours or branch access.

The TD and CIBC extra spend bonuses may offer you a few hundred points or maybe a couple thousand depending on spend. Ask yourself if the hassle of dealing with a bank with a bad service rep is worth it (CIBC)? At least Amex makes an effort. Also AMEX gold gives you a spousal card at no extra cost. TD and CIBC charge.

Now, a caveat. I am biased because I have group health insurance which covers my travel, I have *A Gold status, and I almost always fly J. I am carrying 300k aeroplan miles because I can't get a J seat on the routes I fly when I want to fly.

CIBC and TD are viable options for many people with generic spend patterns. For customers with odd spend patterns or who can end up needing to have an crazy transaction, or who need rapid call center service, AMEX has the advantage. I am in the 25% or so (my estimate) who benefit from an AMEX card. You may be in the 75% or so who will be fine with TD or CIBC because you won't need the enhanced quality.