Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: CIBC Aerogold Infinite Privilege

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: CIBC Aerogold Infinite Privilege

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

CIBC Aerogold Infinite Privilege

Hi Everyone!

Im new to the site and have spent a lot of time reading on here. I'm hoping I can enlist your help in sorting out credit cards and Aeroplan. I've read a good portion of the TD Aeroplan master thread, couldn't find one for CIBC.

My wife and I are not frequent travelers in the airline game, however we do travel on average around once a month. We fly mostly domestically within Canada; some for work and some for pleasure. I like to travel cary on only style, which I find to be efficient; however occasionally I do need to check bags (ie YVR to YYZ in winter to visit family, I bring ALL the warm clothing I have). We have also fallen in love with Maui in Hawaii and will likely be travelling there three to four times a year (included in the once a month average above). Our home airport is YVR and I have previously used Priority Pass for lounge access one year when I flew a lot.

My wife and I have been married for a year now and do love to travel. My parents have been very successful at using the Aeroplan program for international business class flights and we would like to start "saving" towards similar benefits. My wife currently has and RBC Avion Visa card and I have a Capital One Aspire Travel World Eliete MasterCard. We tend to book the cheapest flight we can though we have started to learn that some times Latitude fares can be worth it; particularly when we know we need a bag checked. We have had frustrations with the Avion card booking latitude tickets one way and tango the other with no transparency or option; while the CapitalOne card works well the "bang for the buck" does not seem to be what my parents are getting out of Aeroplan. We do fly exclusively Air Canada products.

We have discussed changing our current two credit cards; our primary card will be some form of an Aeroplan card and a secondary card with no exchange rate transaction fee (possibly the Amazon credit card, maybe the Chase Marriot). We are planning for one of us to be the primary card holder of each kind/brand of credit card and the other person to have an additional card on the respective account.

The majority of our flying is not really long enough for me to justify "business class"; while it is much nicer the cost isn't always justified to me. However the perks: priority check in, priority boarding, lounge access (maple leaf or a service like priority pass) are of huge interest to us. We HATE ending up in Zone 4 and having no room for our bag if carrying on; I dislike very much hanging out by the gate when we could be in the lounge. Priority check in isn't that important other than in a pinch where bypassing a long line is desirable. We also have nexus.

We started looking for a way to get priority boarding (it's our primary concern). I was aware of the maple leaf club; but at $500 for the two of us, on top of our current credit card fees, it made no sense. That lead me to the American Express AeroplanPlus Reserve Card but at nearly $1200 in fees a year that was a very expensive proposition; though the $200 travel credit does help. This of course lead to the American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum and Gold Cards. These of course the compare favourably to the TD/CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege cards. They roughly all seem to be the same with CIBC supposedly now having the best insurance (http://www.howtosavemoney.ca/best-aeroplan-credit-cards) and currently offering 50000 bonus Aeroplan Miles.

Just wanted to touch base with you guys and clarify if going forward with the CIBC Aerogold Infinite Privilege is a smart move and also clarify how the zone boarding work with online check in? We check into all our flights online and use Apple Wallet passes for all flights we can. Does the Zone2 automatically come up as you are in a database or do I need to do something??

Thanks in advance!

Stephen
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:11 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
I've used the TD version

i convinced my parents to get this card for the AC benefits.

The benefits only only extend to the primary cardholder, so an additional cardholder travelling alone gets nothing.

The way zone 2 boarding works is that the benefit gets attached to the primary cardholder's Aeroplan account, so it only applies when crediting to Aeroplan. Also, it's supposed to apply to those travelling on the same PNR but application is hit and miss. I've never had a problem where they didn't just let the zone 4 boarding pass on with the zone 2 boarding group when handed over together.

As as far as I know, the Visa privilege cards are the only ones that give priority boarding on all flights. I don't believe that the Amex Aeroplan cards do. They only offer priority check-in.

For the lounge, it's primary cardholder only so you'd have to pay for a guest. It does include a priority pass membership with 6 visits a year in addition to the MLL access.

If priority boarding is important, then the CIBC and TD editions of this card are the only options for credit cards.

keep in mind that when you do check a bag, it doesn't include priority baggage, and only the primary cardholder gets a free bag 1x 23kg.

It it has its uses but don't think that it's equivalent to status. Also, the minimum income is unusually high. 200k household.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BackSlash3
i convinced my parents to get this card for the AC benefits.

The benefits only only extend to the primary cardholder, so an additional cardholder travelling alone gets nothing.

The way zone 2 boarding works is that the benefit gets attached to the primary cardholder's Aeroplan account, so it only applies when crediting to Aeroplan. Also, it's supposed to apply to those travelling on the same PNR but application is hit and miss. I've never had a problem where they didn't just let the zone 4 boarding pass on with the zone 2 boarding group when handed over together.

As as far as I know, the Visa privilege cards are the only ones that give priority boarding on all flights. I don't believe that the Amex Aeroplan cards do. They only offer priority check-in.

For the lounge, it's primary cardholder only so you'd have to pay for a guest. It does include a priority pass membership with 6 visits a year in addition to the MLL access.

If priority boarding is important, then the CIBC and TD editions of this card are the only options for credit cards.

keep in mind that when you do check a bag, it doesn't include priority baggage, and only the primary cardholder gets a free bag 1x 23kg.

It it has its uses but don't think that it's equivalent to status. Also, the minimum income is unusually high. 200k household.
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't realized that the AC benefits only apply to the primary card holder so that is good to know!

Your knowledge is really appreciated!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
You should also consider the Amex membership rewards cards (these are not the Amex Aeroplan branded cards that you mentioned but the points can be transferred 1 to 1 to Aeroplan). They all have nice sign up bonuses to kick start your Aeroplan balance (use the FT referral links for extra bonus points), low income requirements and the platinum cards have good lounge access (not MLL, but Amex lounges, Plaza premium and Priority pass).
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:51 pm

I can also confirm the zone 2 automatically comes up on the boarding pass.

What convinced me to switch to this card was the 25% extra Aeroplan miles compared to the regular card. Based on my typical spending/redemptions the 25% extra miles is worth the extra cost of the card.

The other features that I like (besides what is on the standard cards) are:

Maple Leaf lounge access for reward flights (4 x a year)

Contract lounge access for any flight (great for paid flights or places where there are no Maple Leaf lounges)

Priority boarding and check-in.

One checked bag free (although I often fly carry-on only)

Priority line at security in many Canadian airports including YVR.

Longer duration travel medical insurance than other cards.

So it works well for me. It may not be the same as status but provides a good portion of status features. Your cost/benefit analysis may of course be different based on your spending and travel habits.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
You should also consider the Amex membership rewards cards (these are not the Amex Aeroplan branded cards that you mentioned but the points can be transferred 1 to 1 to Aeroplan). They all have nice sign up bonuses to kick start your Aeroplan balance (use the FT referral links for extra bonus points), low income requirements and the platinum cards have good lounge access (not MLL, but Amex lounges, Plaza premium and Priority pass).
You can look at the Amex Aeroplan, but be warned these cards require your spouse to have their own card.

Air Canada will also put lounge status on sale from time to time, most recently in march 2016 I believe. You can check out the cost to simply buy lounge status here: https://www.airclublounge.com/AC/en/...ips/index.html You can also buy it with points.

You could also look at crediting your flights to an alternate program which gives you gold more easily eg Aegean, see here for more: http://maphappy.org/2015/02/the-quic...alliance-gold/ or search the forums. Good luck.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Low roller, DrPete, donnyk

Thanks so much. Income requirement aren't a problem for us. Amex scares me a little as I feel there is a stigma that it's not taken everywhere; however I can't verify that. I'll look more closely at it.

I'm glad to hear the Zone2 just happens. That makes it easier. Was also glad to hear it hasn't been a problem when a boarding pass and card were presented!

Priority Boarding is really the most important thing for us, lounges probably being next. Just trying to figure out how to do that as cheap as possible.

Thanks for the link to Aegean... Greece is nice but I don't think I can do it every year!!

You guys are awesome, great community!!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by s.dunn
Hi Everyone!

......I've read a good portion of the TD Aeroplan master thread, couldn't find one for CIBC.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...roplan-17.html

Thread was started Oct 2015 and most recent post was Dec 9 2016
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrPete
One checked bag free (although I often fly carry-on only)
Hey DrPete forgot to ask, is the checked bag just like the Zone2? Does it just happen??

Thanks

S
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...roplan-17.html

Thread was started Oct 2015 and most recent post was Dec 9 2016
Amazing thanks. More reading! Really appreciated!!

Cheers,

Stephen
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:58 pm

Low roller, DrPete, donnyk

Thanks so much. Income requirement aren't a problem for us. Amex scares me a little as I feel there is a stigma that it's not taken everywhere; however I can't verify that. I'll look more closely at it.

I'm glad to hear the Zone2 just happens. That makes it easier. Was also glad to hear it hasn't been a problem when a boarding pass and card were presented!

Priority Boarding is really the most important thing for us, lounges probably being next. Just trying to figure out how to do that as cheap as possible.

Thanks for the link to Aegean... Greece is nice but I don't think I can do it every year!!

You guys are awesome, great community!!
I don't think w/ Aegan there is any requirement to fly Aegean (or go to greece!), but the devil is in the details, so do some reading, I know they did change the rules lately.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I love my Amex card. Unlike Visa, I have never ever had a hacking event or bogus charges. Multiple occurrences. Amex is accepted by the airlines, hotel chains and car rental agencies and that's where my big spend is. Also works well at big retailers. When Amex doesn't work I use my cash back CC.

My experience with Amex is;
- More positive and helpful call center
- Superior website, annual spend report
- No obnoxious sales calls from agents trying to sell inappropriate products
- Greater willingness to assist in a transaction dispute. (cibc screwed me once on a false charge and it cost me to have it corrected.)
- Amex has better controls. 4 day approval and delivery on my card. Never refused a transaction. Higher intelligent limits. TD and CIBC took too long to issue the cards and acted like they were doing me a favour in giving me a $5,000 limit despite my qualifying for their private banking divisions, each of whom was willing to issue cards with rather high limits.

The reality in Canada is that CIBC has a negative reputation on customer service. It needs something to try and rebuild and retain their customer base. RBC and BMO have historically had better reputations and don't need a credit card crutch. (I know some on FT are happy with TD and CIBC. ). The best aspect of TD is its branch service access. However, a CC holder is not looking for operating hours or branch access.

The TD and CIBC extra spend bonuses may offer you a few hundred points or maybe a couple thousand depending on spend. Ask yourself if the hassle of dealing with a bank with a bad service rep is worth it (CIBC)? At least Amex makes an effort. Also AMEX gold gives you a spousal card at no extra cost. TD and CIBC charge.

Now, a caveat. I am biased because I have group health insurance which covers my travel, I have *A Gold status, and I almost always fly J. I am carrying 300k aeroplan miles because I can't get a J seat on the routes I fly when I want to fly.

CIBC and TD are viable options for many people with generic spend patterns. For customers with odd spend patterns or who can end up needing to have an crazy transaction, or who need rapid call center service, AMEX has the advantage. I am in the 25% or so (my estimate) who benefit from an AMEX card. You may be in the 75% or so who will be fine with TD or CIBC because you won't need the enhanced quality.
meowmeow likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I love my Amex card. Unlike Visa, I have never ever had a hacking event or bogus charges. Multiple occurrences. Amex is accepted by the airlines, hotel chains and car rental agencies and that's where my big spend is. Also works well at big retailers. When Amex doesn't work I use my cash back CC.

My experience with Amex is;
- More positive and helpful call center
- Superior website, annual spend report
- No obnoxious sales calls from agents trying to sell inappropriate products
- Greater willingness to assist in a transaction dispute. (cibc screwed me once on a false charge and it cost me to have it corrected.)
- Amex has better controls. 4 day approval and delivery on my card. Never refused a transaction. Higher intelligent limits. TD and CIBC took too long to issue the cards and acted like they were doing me a favour in giving me a $5,000 limit despite my qualifying for their private banking divisions, each of whom was willing to issue cards with rather high limits.

The reality in Canada is that CIBC has a negative reputation on customer service. It needs something to try and rebuild and retain their customer base. RBC and BMO have historically had better reputations and don't need a credit card crutch. (I know some on FT are happy with TD and CIBC. ). The best aspect of TD is its branch service access. However, a CC holder is not looking for operating hours or branch access.

The TD and CIBC extra spend bonuses may offer you a few hundred points or maybe a couple thousand depending on spend. Ask yourself if the hassle of dealing with a bank with a bad service rep is worth it (CIBC)? At least Amex makes an effort. Also AMEX gold gives you a spousal card at no extra cost. TD and CIBC charge.

Now, a caveat. I am biased because I have group health insurance which covers my travel, I have *A Gold status, and I almost always fly J. I am carrying 300k aeroplan miles because I can't get a J seat on the routes I fly when I want to fly.

CIBC and TD are viable options for many people with generic spend patterns. For customers with odd spend patterns or who can end up needing to have an crazy transaction, or who need rapid call center service, AMEX has the advantage. I am in the 25% or so (my estimate) who benefit from an AMEX card. You may be in the 75% or so who will be fine with TD or CIBC because you won't need the enhanced quality.
Agree 100%. I had the Ontario MTO website fail on me when renewing my plate stickers so I went back on the next day and tried again and it worked. Checked my Amex and I had 2 charges. Called MTO, they were of course 100% useless, told me they only saw one transaction despite me having the confirmation number of the failed transaction, they could not find it. They gave me a address to send a snail mail letter to.

Not having time to fix MTO's problems, I called Amex, the call took 5 minutes they removed the charge and gave me a url to login with my usual credentials and upload the pdf of the failed transaction (which I had kept). Over the next few weeks as their investigation processed I received a couple of emails and snail mail letters but that was the last I spoke to them, they advised me via email and snail mail that the merchant was unable to produce evidence of the transaction and as such it was null and void.

All my experiences with Amex have been positive like this, other banks, not so much.
meowmeow likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Income requirement aren't a problem for us. Amex scares me a little as I feel there is a stigma that it's not taken everywhere; however I can't verify that.
In that case, I'd recommend that you and your spouse each get the CIBC infinite privilege (TD is basically the same but CIBC has double the sign up bonus now). It gives you the AC benefits you want for $399/year but only for the primary cardholder. So, instead of paying $99 for a supplemental card, you could pay an extra $300 and each get a primary and each get the 50,000 sign up bonus. The priority boarding and lounge access are probably worth that if you travel a fair bit. (p.s. the Visa infinite hotel benefits are a nice bonus).

For an extra boost to your aeroplan accounts, you could also each get an Amex gold rewards card. They are free to try for the first year and offer a 25,000 sign-up bonus (once you spend $1500 in 3 months). Cancel before the year is up and keep the bonus. It's true that Amex isn't accepted everywhere, so this would be a good way to try it out. Plus it earns double points at gas, grocery and drug stores and for travel purchases, which is better than TD/CIBC in these categories.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
In that case, I'd recommend that you and your spouse each get the CIBC infinite privilege (TD is basically the same but CIBC has double the sign up bonus now). It gives you the AC benefits you want for $399/year but only for the primary cardholder. So, instead of paying $99 for a supplemental card, you could pay an extra $300 and each get a primary and each get the 50,000 sign up bonus. The priority boarding and lounge access are probably worth that if you travel a fair bit. (p.s. the Visa infinite hotel benefits are a nice bonus).

For an extra boost to your aeroplan accounts, you could also each get an Amex gold rewards card. They are free to try for the first year and offer a 25,000 sign-up bonus (once you spend $1500 in 3 months). Cancel before the year is up and keep the bonus. It's true that Amex isn't accepted everywhere, so this would be a good way to try it out. Plus it earns double points at gas, grocery and drug stores and for travel purchases, which is better than TD/CIBC in these categories.
For me Amex gold is my go to card. It is 2:$1 on Gas, Grocery, Drug and TRAVEL. No other card that's affiliated with Aeroplan (direct or indirect via transfer) gives a bonus on all travel purchases. TD and CIBC aeroplan cards 1.5:$1 for gas, grocery, drug and aircanada.com purchases, but not vacation packages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.