FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:49 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I really do not understand why people who want to pay a premium to eat and drink on the plane cannot pay that premium on the plane rather than have it included into the price of the ticket.
But again, as mentioned by Tobias UK does is not in the least what is happening and the fact that you think this is a result of airfares falling over decades changes absolutely nothing to that, especially as BA are withdrawing perks without lowering fares at a time they are still profitable which suggests that the previous system was sustainable.

So just like you not understanding passengers' reaction, I honestly cannot understand why people would be happy to get less for the same price, which is exactly what is happening.

For what it's worth I also do not share your perception BA are withdrawing perks because fares have gone down, and i think that if there is a relevance of lcc's it is more along the lines you rightly mentioned earlier (if not in those words) that LCCs have now got away with only offering transportation plus increasing ancillary revenues for year so maybe we can get away with it too. As discussed earlier I personally think that whether this will work or not remains to be seen.

incidentally, I agree with you that the question of transition, whilst mishandled by BA, is minor and not what this is mostly about.

By by contrast I disagree with your and Littlegirl's point which sort of makes it sound people are rather ridiculous for wanting inclusions with their full service airline plane ticket. The fact people primarily buy transportation does not imply they only buy that, in just the same way that if you buy a night in a b&b you predominantly buy overnight accommodation, the establishment also boasted about the great breakfast they offer and if they suddenly charge for it because many hotels do that might change the value of the proposition for you regardless of whether you still decide to go there or not. So yes of course hotels could now start charging separately for bathroom use, or for the internet (what, do you also expect free wifi when you go to the hairdressers? Can't you buy your own? ) or for using the gym (do you also expect restaurants to offer a free gym? People pay membership home to go to one so why not here, I'm starting to worry about people! ).

I think it is rather pointless, however, (and to clarify this is a generic point, not directed to you) to make unhappy passengers sound as if they were some sort of unreasonable spoilt brats who should just go bother another airline when they are unhappy that they used to get a+b+c for £100 five year ago, then a+b two years ago and now only a. If BA can get away with it then that's honestly great for them, if not, the employees and the passengers will pay a further price while the big managers will have safely moved on and so be it too, but it would be quite extraordinary if the airline industry was the only one where people were expected to get less for the same amount of money at the individual level without the right to express dissatisfaction.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 27, 2016 at 1:19 am