FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:35 pm
Andriyko

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I believe DMs on DL get free Sky Club membership - for AA and UA, many of their top level fliers have affinity credit cards that give lounge access.

My only point was it would have been an easy way for BA to mitigate dissatisfaction w the new policy - and as Tobias-UK points out you statements about lower fares are market specific.
Good point. However, I think that a company would want to mitigate something if it saw the need to do so. Obviously, the prevailing opinion on this forum is that BA is tarnishing its brand with the introduction of BoB and not providing something for GCHs and OW EMDs. I am also a GCH and I do not see a problem with the forthcoming change. I may be in the minority here, but we do not know how other passengers feel about the change - they may very well not care at all as well.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
You say, "Perhaps BA thinks that it has other strong reasons for people to choose to fly with it."

BA management's business strategy is "show me the f*****g money" as articulated by the parent company CEO. Their ability to execute this is based not on innovations, high levels of service, great value or flawless execution, but a dominant position on what is essentially a public utility called Heathrow Airport.
What I meant was that a lot of emphasis is made here on the free food and drink as if they were the only differentianing factor between airlines. The schedule, airports, frequency also play a role. I mentioned in many threads that when I need to go to London I often use the more expensive BoB PS than the still 'full service' BA because the former' schedule suits me better, and even my gold card can't sway me towards flying BA. I know that it is only one route but BA is losing the competition to a more expensive no frills airline, so this can be taken as a proof that people do not necessarily fly for the experience. I am not denying that there are people who choose which airline to fly with based on the frills, but while I am in the minority (or a sole crazy person) here, these frills seeking people may be in the minority in the real world.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And BA have publicly stated that prices will not be lowered as a result of the introduction of BOB.
I maintain the view that the introduction of BoB is the result of the prices having fallen so low, so I do not think that they need to fall even lower (I won't mind if they do though). BA is not doing it to lower the prices. BA is doing it because prices have fallen so low that the same product cannot be maintained. You and many others obviously disagree.

Last edited by Andriyko; Dec 27, 2016 at 3:00 am Reason: Spelling mistakes