FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:04 pm
elitetraveler
Suspended

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I understand your point, however, free food and drinks is not a perk of being a GCH. I would love for it to be one but it is not something that we're getting. U.S. based airlines provide that perk because their top elites do not get lounge access when traveling domestically, while BA's do. IB does not do it while AY does. Perhaps BA thinks that it has other strong reasons for people to choose to fly with it. As I mentioned before, people who want to pay the premium are very welcome to pay it on board without forcing the rest of us to have the cost of food and drink included into the price when we do not want it.
I believe DMs on DL get free Sky Club membership - for AA and UA, many of their top level fliers have affinity credit cards that give lounge access.

My only point was it would have been an easy way for BA to mitigate dissatisfaction w the new policy - and as Tobias-UK points out you statements about lower fares are market specific.

You say, "Perhaps BA thinks that it has other strong reasons for people to choose to fly with it."

BA management's business strategy is "show me the f*****g money" as articulated by the parent company CEO. Their ability to execute this is based not on innovations, high levels of service, great value or flawless execution, but a dominant position on what is essentially a public utility called Heathrow Airport.