FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:31 pm
Tobias-UK
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I still believe that the vast majority of passengers do not care, nor do they even know what 'full service' meant at the time of BA's creation. Especially, since a good proportion of them could not have afforded the prices that BA used to charge at that time. Air travel in economy has been transformed by low cost airlines and fierce competition. I really do not understand why people who want to pay a premium to eat and drink on the plane cannot pay that premium on the plane rather than have it included into the price of the ticket. If I don't usually eat when I fly shorthaul, why should I pay for it? And, given that I pay 100-200 Dollars less than I used to, I would rather pay the 20 when and if I want to drink or eat something then go back to the days of regulated and expensive air travel.
Those of us purchasing tickets from the UK regions are paying considerably more than we used to for our long haul trips in J and F. Complementary refreshments are part of that fare, you may pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars less for your tickets and enjoy Club Europe to connect to your long haul. We on the other hand get to travel domestic economy for significantly more and now we have to pay for water or other refreshment.

The penny pinching is not just BOB, it's happening throughout the airline and, from my perspective, it's gone too far. It may be good value for you on cheap foreign tickets but those of us paying ever increasing U.K. prices we are certainly not enjoying value.