FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion
Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:40 am
airb330

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jwerking
I am leaving from the East Coast - we retired to Virginia Beach (ORF) but lived in DC Metro area - so we fly out of there a lot to get award seats.

Yes, I just checked again now for DC airports and found I can get 2 saver seats at 22.5K out of DCA for Nov 13 - only ones available for the entire month of November. Surprised in change in availability but maybe someone was holding these seats and they got released.

Also checked from Charlotte NC - which is a big hub now inherited from USAir and found two 20K awards also for Nov 13 - once again, the only saver seats for the whole month of Nov. But I think it is about a 5 hr drive to Charlotte - ugh!

So looks like Saver seats to HI are going to be slim pickings and will take a lot of work. You always use to see the Alaska Air flights, but even they do not show up now - so apparently AA's relationship with AS has significantly changed. Bummer, at least,AS was always an easy option.

Also appears that the AA availability is perhaps not showing award seats requiring an overnight stay enroute. So may have to piece available legs together and call to book with an agent. This is really starting to add to the cost of a freebie award seat - as we get a one way car rental car to airport and often have to get a hotel for night prior. So an overnight stay enroute would add another hotel cost - so min of about $300 total for Motel 6 type accomodations.

Just playing around now as I need seats for Jan 13 2018 - which is more of an issue because AA never offers saver seats for the time period around the Xmas holidays or loads them very late. I delayed our Big Island accomodations for our Jan 2018 stay for this reason. Had few saver options for our Jan 8 2017 checkin - so hopefully delaying it for another week will definitely get us out of Holiday travel.

Ah well, maybe my freebie airfares to HI are over - hope not!
They're definitely harder to find. We booked about330 days out for September 2016, and had to use United miles to get to HNL and AA to get home. Neither program had to *and* from. Probably not the answer you want to see but if you do have miles in multiple programs, don't be afraid to book two one ways!