FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:55 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Seriously? 70K in CX F one way to Asia or Africa, including a stopover in Hong Kong is terrible when AA charges you 110K for the same CX F just to Asia, without a stopover?

Same on the JL chart.

Either you are wanting others not realize how valuable AS miles are, or you (I hope not) dont even know how to read AS partner charts. or never actually look at AS charts.

Or, may be you rather pay 110K for F just so you can fly AA coach to a gateway city, versus AS redeemers only pay 70K for F and just buy a ticket to the gateway, plus enjoy a stopover in either HKG or TYO. Does not take much of gray matter to see which way is better. YMMV though.

The more people stay with AA the happier for those who use AS miles - pay less fly further, and enjoy a stopover.
But what if neither CX nor AS flies from anywhere near you? AS has an unusual restriction that any one award redemption can only include on partner. So to fly CX you have to fly either only CX or AS+CX on that award.

And to be safe with a separately booked connection on AA, you may need to add a "self-forced" stopover at your AA-CX connection city! But what if you didn't want a stopover?

I once was on an AA flight DFW-LAX, where I was just returning home, and an engine failed in-flight, it diverted to Lubbock (where AA only had Eagle operations at that time), and it took 7 hours for a replacement plane to arrive, take on the stranded passengers, and depart for LAX. You wouldn't believe how many people were complaining about "unprotected" connections they would miss (most of them to cruise ships, but some to other flights).