FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:53 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
OK but wait , that is very different.

There's always the opportunity to buy up to J before gate control. But can't it still be done?

I seem to recall someone on YYZNRT boarding at like T-15 (maybe less) and a gate agent bringing a receipt printed on the same paper as the PIL saying "hears your receipt for your upgrade, enjoy your flight". SD also asked how they enjoyed that last minute upgrade.

Do you get an in flight receipt if you LMU? Or did the guy do some kind of supre last minute upgrade?

Or I guess maybe he was wait listed and had to pay a copay.

But to answer your implied question, we don't know if the cabin would have been empty under a bidding system.

Maybe they will sell a seat at $450 instead of cashing in on your $500 last minute, but I doubt that basing a pricing strategy of what ifs and rare occasions the best of strategies though.
My point was more that you suggested not allowing modifying bids.

My initial bid was $0 (or if I'd actually been given an option, probably around $200).

My later bid became $500, because circumstances had changed enough from when I initially checked in that the amount I was willing to pay had increased significantly.