FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:22 pm
JonNYC
Suspended

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Just changed the date of my pre-devalued award ticket, ORD - HKG - BKK. I also chose RJ on HKG-BKK segment, it was on cx. Agent wanted to charge me more miles and $150 claiming that because of the carrier change. I asked for the supervisor and also she claimed that I gotta pay up but she put me on hold to double check.

30+ minutes later, she said I was right and proceeded to charge me $1.10 more for taxes.
After months of being flummoxed by how it was possible for agents to give such radically different answers on this, an answer emerged. Of the several sections that deal with changes to these awards, there's on that has the heading:

Changes To Tickets With Awards That Expired On 22MAR16
Milesaaver Awards: American or All-Partner
It then goes on to start one of the conditions as "If only a date and time change..." in two places. So, if they stumble upon that section first (and/or if that's their preconceived notion) they might-- no fault of their own-- state that that's all that's allowed.

Other sections clarify that other changes are, indeed allowed. But-- not to make excuses for the mess AA has made for it's agents-- in many cases the agents are only citing a section they can't be blamed for citing.

Now, WE all know what's allowed due to the sections I've posted over time and then our collective experience with same and the promises that AA made to Gary, et al as the changes were being announced.

But, finally, I understand why some agents end up giving the "wrong" answer at first.