FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Israel, Passports, going to the middle east in the future etc.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:47 pm
mad_atta

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Thumper
Through previous posts of mine, you can see that I have personal experience working at the Allenby Crossing (Can't believe I referred to it by the slang name)

As a general rule, the crossing has moved to stamping a piece of paper versus the passport as the default choice. For certain populations, Jordanians flying from Tel Aviv, Palestinians crossing from Jordan to Israel and a few others, there is an additional orange ink on white paper transfer/transport pass that will allow you to go through the crossings.

While I have outstanding relations with our dear allies on the other side of the bridge, I cannot speak to nor vouch how your documents will be handled by the Jordanian authorities.
Thanks, Thumper. That's somewhat reassuring. In our case, after the Israel/Jordan section of this particular trip we're not doing any other travel to any countries where proof of travel to Israel would be a problem (we're heading on to Cairo, Istanbul, Singapore then home to Australasia) so if the worst came to the worst we could replace our passports when we get home. It sounds like that is relatively unlikely however.

Originally Posted by Thumper
My advice is be polite, make eye contact, speak slowly and clearly, (so much is done in non-native tongues increasing everyones nerves. and be at peace with your trip and your intentions. It is a beautiful part of the world, and people are incredible on both sides of all the borders.
Sound advice for any such travel situation! ^ Having crossed my share of somewhat challenging land borders in Africa and Central Asia, I have definitely learned how important your demeanour and approach can be.