FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA preclearance at Japanese airports
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:10 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
MCT and check-in cut off times are likely to get worse for customers as a result of airports going from no-US CBP preclearance to getting US CBP preclearance.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
As long as pre-clearance has Global Entry just as it does in the States upon arrival - I see no difference to me.
There would be a difference for me -- a worse experience at that -- even as I am a Global Entry member.

The check-in cut-off and minimum connect times allowed by the airlines/airport/governments will probably get worse for me with CBP pre-clearance.

The segregated facilities for US-bound premium passengers and even others won't be as wide and good (at least for some time) as joint facilities serving international passengers in the aggregate.

The hourly cost to staff a CBP employee at CBP pre-clearance facilities is, ceteris paribus, significantly higher than it is for CBP employees at US airports of entry. Higher costs make no difference? Worse MCT/check-in cut-off times make no difference? Ending up in worse, segregated airside facilities for a longer period of time makes no difference?

The USG is out there trying to "convince" foreign governments to do this, and that's because the USG wants to push out the US security perimeter to well beyond the US borders. If every country did this US kind of thing and got its way in pushing out the "security perimeter", then we would all be worse off for it.

Last edited by armagebedar; Nov 8, 2016 at 8:27 pm Reason: subsequent posts by same poster