Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

USA preclearance at Japanese airports

Old May 31, 2015, 12:29 am
Original Poster

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...orts/28173955/

Just curious how do you think this will set up, seems would be a in single area for the airport, maybe the UA/ANA area since its the area with most USA flights? Then JL/AA would have do they USA flights there too? Also the lounges, interesting to think how it could be done.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:07 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Since this will impact many airlines, not just NH, I'm going to move this thread to the Japan forum. Please follow the discussion there.

- armagebedar
ANA forum moderator
Old May 31, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This would be an awful development based on what has transpired in AUH. Unless these airlines are willing to build a brand new terminal or set of buildings within the pre-clearance zone (as is the case at YYZ), once you go through pre-clear you're stuck sitting at the gate with virtually nothing to do. While I haven't transited AUH, my understanding is pre-clearance has actually lead to more delays and requires you to leave the lounge quite early in order to ensure you clear immigration before your flight (which leads to the sitting at gate doing nothing).

I prefer how it is right now where I clear Japanese Immigration, go to the lounge, leave the lounge, walk to the gate, get straight on the plane.

Especially for those of us with GE who can get through US Immigration in a matter of minutes (if not seconds depending on how quickly one gets off the plane) on the US side of things.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
I agree with Duke787. I detest pre clearance airports and the bottlenecks the extra immigration checkpoints create, and hope this scheme dies a painful and rapid death.

Why can't the stupid US stop demanding special treatment and handle immigration the same way as every other country?
Old May 31, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Angry

Because we're so darn special.

American exceptionalism really irritates me sometimes, and I'm American!
Old May 31, 2015, 6:14 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
This makes little to no sense, especially if you're a US citizen or green card holder in which case, what line is the article referring to?

Unless there's a post-customs lounge, I'm just gonna start flying via Canada /entitlement
Old May 31, 2015, 7:31 pm
mjm
Original Member

Am I missing something? If one gets pre-cleared this means they spend less time at the queue outbound or inbound? Cannot possibly see this being a bad thing in either case. Help me understand the issues that are causing some posters to post of frustration.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I think it would actually be fairly easy to set up -- in T1 you could simply use, say, No. 1 and No. 5 Satellites as US pre-cleared areas for DL and NH/UA respectively. These areas have lounges inside them already. In T2 it would probably just be a matter of closing off one of the "piers."

While American O&D travelers may hate preclearance, my guess is that the Japanese government will back it so that NRT can compete with the likes of Seoul and Hong Kong for connecting traffic from Asia, and the US carriers will push the US government to introduce it for the same reasons.

The Wall Street Journal says that LHR is also a candidate to get pre-clearance... that sounds like much more of an implementation nightmare to me...
Old May 31, 2015, 8:27 pm
mjm
Original Member

So non-Americans and Americans sans Global Entry will have a wait at the origin rather than the destination for customs?

How is this a bad thing?

With Global Entry and its equivalent in Japan I have never waited more than 10 minutes out- or inbound. Most of the time much less than that. If I were flying to China for example (a country I frequented a lot some years ago) and China set up their own preclearance in Tokyo, would I be upset about the inevitable wait occurring here rather than there. Seems quite a wash to me.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:38 pm

Well, read the following blog posts about experiences with AUH preclearance last year (as a US citizen with GE):

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...pre-clearance/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...till-disaster/

I think it's going to be all about implementation and hopefully Japan can get it right where AUH got it wrong...
Old May 31, 2015, 8:50 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by joejones
Well, read the following blog posts about experiences with AUH preclearance last year (as a US citizen with GE):

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...pre-clearance/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...till-disaster/

I think it's going to be all about implementation and hopefully Japan can get it right where AUH got it wrong...
Yes I read those and they are nothing more than a child-like kvetch about having to deal with the Border Patrol, have bags searched, and wait at a gate.

There is zero of substance that relates to the concept of pre-clearing for boarding.

The outsourcing of efforts to steer people to the right line, the provision of facilities for people to wait in comfort, etc. Wow not one single point made that is not a whine. That blogger has long given me the impression that he thought he was a bit special, and the whines written convey that strongly.

A good idea in principle seems mired, in those two blog entries anyway, in implementation and ensuring pax are aware of the procedures.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:43 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
On a non-sarcastic/entitled note for a second, it'll probably be much more pleasant dealing with people on the Japan-side of the pond.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:22 am

I think the best potential aspect of preclearance would be arriving like a domestic passenger in the US. I'm usually connecting onward to somewhere, so the notion of coming into, say, ORD or JFK as a domestic passenger and going straight to a domestic connection down the hall is really attractive compared to the immigration wait, baggage re-check and terminal shuffle that we currently get to enjoy.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be so worth it if processing requires pax to be at NRT 2+ hours before the flight and flights become routinely delayed due to precheck formalities...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Originally Posted by joejones

The Wall Street Journal says that LHR is also a candidate to get pre-clearance... that sounds like much more of an implementation nightmare to me...
Perhaps that could be factored in for Terminal 7......2075.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Apparently the South Korean government for Incheon/ICN decided against it, and considering the US-Japan can't even come to an agreement on the TPP and with Olympic costs overruns, not sure if we're going to see any of these negotiations come to fruition any time soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.