FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual national passing through SG immigration
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:03 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
To the OP: go ahead and ask the Duty Officer anyway. As shuigao suggests, there might not be an issue. If Singapore ICA can accept the two passports then I don't see what loss there is to you other than spending a few minutes to speak with the official. eIACS doesn't just bypass the lines of foreigners waiting their turn to be stamped into the country, it also saves the trouble of filling out the entry card as well. eIACS is also at the other border crossings so its value isn't limited to the airport. Unfortunately I don't see any email address where you can contact Singapore ICA on this question so you can only ask in person.

Separately please keep one thing in mind when visiting foreign countries given you can choose between the US or ROC passport. If you run into any legal difficulties during a visit to any foreign country, you can only get consular assistance from the country whose passport you used. Any other country that you have citizenship with has no legal standing to assist. You happen to be visiting Singapore this time. If you use the ROC passport it's a ROC representative that would contact you, but Singapore's relations is with the PRC. If you use your US passport or potentially eIACS, then it's US consular officials that would get in contact.

I'm bringing this up because all of us are focused on convenience in all aspects of our lives (and why you asked about eIACS) but there's potentially real consequences to the choice of citizenship we declare when we enter a foreign country.

Is there a separate desk for eIACS/ICA before clearing the Immigration on Arrival? because I am assuming I should ask for clarification even before crossing the border so that I can choose which to use, right? Or is it the regular immigration line I should stand and ask the officer?

The name difference is more like Wang, Hsiao-ming and Andy Wang. I didn't change my family name but dropped out my Chinese romanization.

And thanks for the reminder! That's why U.S. passport is maybe preferred. (But then again, when most countries have official ties with PRC, there are not many places I can use my ROC passport with assured consular protection. )