Dual national passing through SG immigration

Old Oct 26, 16, 9:59 pm
tya
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I should ask about immigration here, but would still give it a shot.

I have a question about passing through Singapore Immigration. I have US/Taiwan dual citizenship but with different legal name (hence different name on passport). If my future travels booked by my company may use my Taiwanese name on Taiwanese passport, would I still be able to enter/exit Singapore using my U.S. passport? (i.e. when I show the immigration officer my U.S. passport but the name is different from what shows on my BP, would that matter?)

I will still bring both passports with me just would prefer using U.S. passport because of the bilateral agreement allowing U.S. citizen/Global Entry users to using eIACS after three visits. I might be qualified for this in the next 12 months that's why I am keen to use my American passport. Yet my company would only purchase ticket using the name on Taiwan passport. I thus wonder if it is okay for clearing Changi Immigration? As long as I have my both passports with me and show them when asked?
Old Oct 27, 16, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by tya View Post
Hi Guys,

Not sure if I should ask about immigration here, but would still give it a shot.

I have a question about passing through Singapore Immigration. I have US/Taiwan dual citizenship but with different legal name (hence different name on passport). If my future travels booked by my company may use my Taiwanese name on Taiwanese passport, would I still be able to enter/exit Singapore using my U.S. passport? (i.e. when I show the immigration officer my U.S. passport but the name is different from what shows on my BP, would that matter?)

I will still bring both passports with me just would prefer using U.S. passport because of the bilateral agreement allowing U.S. citizen/Global Entry users to using eIACS after three visits. I might be qualified for this in the next 12 months that's why I am keen to use my American passport. Yet my company would only purchase ticket using the name on Taiwan passport. I thus wonder if it is okay for clearing Changi Immigration? As long as I have my both passports with me and show them when asked?
You're probably best off asking the Duty Officer in the immigration area before you go through Passport Control the next time you come to Singapore. I assume you know that when you leave Singapore, your boarding pass is compared to your passport three times by airport officials (including one inspection right after the eIACS machine) specifically to be sure that everything matches so I wouldn't fool around with this.
Old Oct 27, 16, 7:10 pm
tya
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by dsgtc0408 View Post
You're probably best off asking the Duty Officer in the immigration area before you go through Passport Control the next time you come to Singapore. I assume you know that when you leave Singapore, your boarding pass is compared to your passport three times by airport officials (including one inspection right after the eIACS machine) specifically to be sure that everything matches so I wouldn't fool around with this.
Haven't been to SG for a while. Not really remembering what the procedure is like in SIN. Thank you so much for your reminder! I guess I will probably stick with my Taiwan passport since I am assuming SG Immigration is efficient anyway. Probably not worth risking the extra inspection if I use both. Thanks again!
Old Oct 27, 16, 8:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Depends on the degree of difference.

If it's (for example) "Tsai Ing Wan" vs "Linda Tsai Ing Wan" I doubt it will be a problem.

If it's "Tsai Ing Wan" vs "Linda Walker" there could be a problem.
Old Oct 27, 16, 11:10 pm

To the OP: go ahead and ask the Duty Officer anyway. As shuigao suggests, there might not be an issue. If Singapore ICA can accept the two passports then I don't see what loss there is to you other than spending a few minutes to speak with the official. eIACS doesn't just bypass the lines of foreigners waiting their turn to be stamped into the country, it also saves the trouble of filling out the entry card as well. eIACS is also at the other border crossings so its value isn't limited to the airport. Unfortunately I don't see any email address where you can contact Singapore ICA on this question so you can only ask in person.

Separately please keep one thing in mind when visiting foreign countries given you can choose between the US or ROC passport. If you run into any legal difficulties during a visit to any foreign country, you can only get consular assistance from the country whose passport you used. Any other country that you have citizenship with has no legal standing to assist. You happen to be visiting Singapore this time. If you use the ROC passport it's a ROC representative that would contact you, but Singapore's relations is with the PRC. If you use your US passport or potentially eIACS, then it's US consular officials that would get in contact.

I'm bringing this up because all of us are focused on convenience in all aspects of our lives (and why you asked about eIACS) but there's potentially real consequences to the choice of citizenship we declare when we enter a foreign country.
Old Oct 31, 16, 12:03 pm
tya
Original Poster

To the OP: go ahead and ask the Duty Officer anyway. As shuigao suggests, there might not be an issue. If Singapore ICA can accept the two passports then I don't see what loss there is to you other than spending a few minutes to speak with the official. eIACS doesn't just bypass the lines of foreigners waiting their turn to be stamped into the country, it also saves the trouble of filling out the entry card as well. eIACS is also at the other border crossings so its value isn't limited to the airport. Unfortunately I don't see any email address where you can contact Singapore ICA on this question so you can only ask in person.

Separately please keep one thing in mind when visiting foreign countries given you can choose between the US or ROC passport. If you run into any legal difficulties during a visit to any foreign country, you can only get consular assistance from the country whose passport you used. Any other country that you have citizenship with has no legal standing to assist. You happen to be visiting Singapore this time. If you use the ROC passport it's a ROC representative that would contact you, but Singapore's relations is with the PRC. If you use your US passport or potentially eIACS, then it's US consular officials that would get in contact.

I'm bringing this up because all of us are focused on convenience in all aspects of our lives (and why you asked about eIACS) but there's potentially real consequences to the choice of citizenship we declare when we enter a foreign country.

Is there a separate desk for eIACS/ICA before clearing the Immigration on Arrival? because I am assuming I should ask for clarification even before crossing the border so that I can choose which to use, right? Or is it the regular immigration line I should stand and ask the officer?

The name difference is more like Wang, Hsiao-ming and Andy Wang. I didn't change my family name but dropped out my Chinese romanization.

And thanks for the reminder! That's why U.S. passport is maybe preferred. (But then again, when most countries have official ties with PRC, there are not many places I can use my ROC passport with assured consular protection. )
Old Nov 1, 16, 7:54 am

Is there a separate desk for eIACS/ICA before clearing the Immigration on Arrival? because I am assuming I should ask for clarification even before crossing the border so that I can choose which to use, right? Or is it the regular immigration line I should stand and ask the officer?

The name difference is more like Wang, Hsiao-ming and Andy Wang. I didn't change my family name but dropped out my Chinese romanization.

And thanks for the reminder! That's why U.S. passport is maybe preferred. (But then again, when most countries have official ties with PRC, there are not many places I can use my ROC passport with assured consular protection. )
It probably makes more sense to speak to the Duty Officer than the regular immigration officer as you're asking about a special situation - yup, better to get that solid answer up front. The Duty Officer is the senior official there.

The Duty Officer has his/her own space in the entire Passport Control area (I'd guess about the size of a basketball court). When you go down the escalator, the different lines/counters to present your passport are straight ahead. The Duty Officer podium is against either the left or the right wall before you get to the counters. BTW the office to get the eIACS endorsement is near or in the Terminal 3 Departure (Passport Control) area, so you'll only go there when you're leaving Singapore.

(As an idea, can you add your English name to your ROC identity?)
Old Nov 1, 16, 4:11 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

If you know how many Andy Wang are out there it would be wise to add you Chinese phonetic name to you US identity.

I stopped using my Chinese name when I turned 18 but went through a process to have it added due to:
Identity at credit bureau and international security data bases.
My extensive business travel in HK ROC PRC and SG.
Old Nov 2, 16, 8:53 am
tya
Original Poster

It probably makes more sense to speak to the Duty Officer than the regular immigration officer as you're asking about a special situation - yup, better to get that solid answer up front. The Duty Officer is the senior official there.

The Duty Officer has his/her own space in the entire Passport Control area (I'd guess about the size of a basketball court). When you go down the escalator, the different lines/counters to present your passport are straight ahead. The Duty Officer podium is against either the left or the right wall before you get to the counters. BTW the office to get the eIACS endorsement is near or in the Terminal 3 Departure (Passport Control) area, so you'll only go there when you're leaving Singapore.

(As an idea, can you add your English name to your ROC identity?)
There does exist an option to put an AKA on ROC passport. I guess I will do it when my current one expires.

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
If you know how many Andy Wang are out there it would be wise to add you Chinese phonetic name to you US identity.

I stopped using my Chinese name when I turned 18 but went through a process to have it added due to:
Identity at credit bureau and international security data bases.
My extensive business travel in HK ROC PRC and SG.
Yeah I guess you are right. I just figured I never used my Chinese name with non-Chinese when I was in the States. I guess I should have kept it in.

As for travel I don't think there would be too much an issue for HK/SG/TW? All three places seem to be fine taking one's English name. The only place, at least for me, that seems to be a problem is PRC. It's far easier for me to use Taiwan Compatriot Pass to enter China but name on that one cannot be my American name.

Search this Thread