FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:00 pm
Baze
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
The not so smart HHonors team has missed the mark with their lifetime Diamond qualification criteria.

Talk about opening the door to obtaining this tier by booking stays at the lowest priced hotels within the group to obtain the nights rather than revenue (which is what they should be focusing on).

They just need to see what the smart guys at Hyatt are doing to increase their revenue from the HHonors members and rewarding them for their loyalty.

For example, Hyatt allows you to earn points by dining and taking spa treatments even without staying at the property. All these spend allows for base points accrual and counts towards their Lifetime Diamond (soon to be Globalist).

I for one patronise Hyatt for dining and spa in the city that I live without having to stay. Here, I am giving Hyatt a good portion of revenue that would otherwise not be spent by their loyal member.

HHonors, you have the base points mechanism in place so what you need is some smart thinking and reward your high spenders especially in times when revenue is important.

Let's discuss this further!
What's wrong with staying at the lower end brands and getting recognition for loyalty. Lots of companies won't pay for the high end brands. And a lot of places we go there are no high end brands. We should be punished and shut out of lifetime because of where we go and company policies? So, would you be ok with an either 1000 nights or some amount of spend plus the 10 years as Diamond? Let's see, 10 x 120,000= 1.2 Million base points. Which would be 10 years of Diamond level base points if you qualify that way. Kind of low compared to the Marriott 2M points. (disclaimer, don't know what Marriott counts as points). So maybe 1000 paid nights or 1.2M base points and 10 years of Diamond. Us 1000 paid night people are no less loyal, and maybe more loyal that big spenders. I think my 130-160 nights in Hampton Inns and Hilton Garden Inns is pretty darn loyal and I should be rewarded when I hit 1000 paid nights and 10 years. Big spenders could hit that 1.2M base points in a MUCH shorter amount of time. All that tells me is you spend a lot of money and does not prove loyalty to a brand for a lifetime status. More and more airlines reward spend for annual benefits but lifetime is still based on putting your butt in a seat for so many miles on their metal. And I easily qualify on both nights and base points staying at those lower end brands for my Diamond status. Am I not loyal?