FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:43 am
Travelz

For newbies to MS and MO:
I thought I would share some details because I think it is best if people are prepared when they try to buy MO at WM. I am not sure the WIKI says enough and people don't find it. Can someone update it?

Buy metabank visa gift cards from:
- giftcards.com using TCB portal for 1.25% back which almost covers the fees or (This option looks obvious on your bill so be careful) - Cards must be activated
- Giftcardmall.com has free shipping under $2000 using TopCashBack portal for 1.25% back which covers the fees but they take 2 weeks for delivery. (This option looks obvious on your bill so be careful)
- at grocery stores that offer gas rewards or
- at simon malls for lower cost or simonmall.com (call to get pin)
- CVS- Vanilla vgc do not work at WM, only POffice.
- WM sells vgc from Suntrust but you can't buy MO with them at my WM(Don't buy gc and go buy MO at same store)

There are more options but I just named a few. The US Bank master cards work also, but they require the pin inside the package and a different way to swipe so it is easiest to buy visa.

My strategy so far with MO:
– At WM, I generally ask for 2 MO for 999.30 to include fee (Total of $2000) and swipe the limit of 4 cards for 500 each with pin and you need to tell the clerk "I'm paying 500 at a time" and then swipe. WM allows 2 MO for $1000 per transaction and $3000 per day. $3000 per day is the limit unless you want your name in their book.
I found a great WM with a Money Center and all the employees are fine splitting the payment by 500 at a time. Some WM’s employees do not allow this even though the registers allow debit card swipes up to 4 times per transaction. If something gets goofed up and you have to swipe 5 times it will not go through, so they need to cancel the transaction and the money should return to your debit cards. Call to check balance before leaving the store.
I like that the giftcard.com cards have my name on them and I also add the amount in the “Message on Card” field. Some stores like to see you name on the card, but try not to show them your card. Only if asked, I am earning miles while paying bills, if asked and leave it at that. Never say too much. Only refer to your cards as DEBIT cards, not gift cards. If a store says no, be polite and leave and try again at another store.

You can pay your cc bills at a branch bank if they are located around you or do a bank deposit with the MO.
You can buy MO at Post Office with only vanilla (not one vanilla) as well but they cost $1.20 per $500 vs .70 for $1000 at WM.
Always start slow and liquidate fast in case WM or PO stop selling MO. PO does not work with metabank cards at some locations now.

Last edited by Travelz; Dec 3, 2016 at 10:56 am