FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Curse of Diamond
View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:58 am
freestay

All I can add is that you never know when being a Diamond can be most important: my husband passed away (peacefully but unexpectedly) at sea between Sicily and Mallorca in September. Upon docking in Mallorca the next day, the port agent had arranged for a hotel for me. It was high season in Mallorca...despite the consulate's assurances that the property selected was 4-star, it was NOT a good place/location for me and they could only keep me for one more additional night. Knowing that there was a Hilton somewhere in Mallorca, I called immediately. They were also full but, as a Diamond, said they'd accommodate me.

The Hilton Sa Torre happens to be a beautiful, serene, magical resort in a 14th century castle...not only did the hotel keep extending my stay for the 9 days I needed to remain in Spain but they assigned me a private casita at a reduced diamond rate and the staff was very helpful and protective. At check-out, the Manager insisted that half of my considerable telephone charges be removed as they knew I hadn't chosen to make the calls but had to. The extensive breakfast buffet was also a helpful Diamond benefit as it was served until 11.

I, too, have been disappointed with diminishing Diamond perks, especially in the US. However, without being honored and assisted as a Diamond so graciously at the Sa Torre, I would not have known where to find hotel space in Mallorca at such a difficult time.

I'm very grateful and will remain a loyal Hilton member.