The Curse of Diamond

Old Oct 17, 16, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Did I ask that question? No. I stated an observation. Why so argumentative/sarcastic?
I'm sorry you thought that; it wasn't meant to be directed at you or to start an argument with you. It's meant in agreement with your point, that the limited service properties don't offer a lot of ways to lavish "love" on elites.
Old Oct 18, 16, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I feel the same way.

I received Hyatt diamond via a status match for this year and have been trying to maintain diamond with them by giving them as much of my business as possible but unfortunately there aren't Hyatts in all the locations I go to so I will lose the diamond status 2/1 and will really miss it. The difference between how Hyatt and Hilton treats their diamonds is like that between night and day. Decent lounges, 4 p.m. check out, I don't have to call to have premium wifi removed from my bill and I get a nice welcome amenity

The one area that really ticks me off is late check out. As a no-status with SPG I have no issues getting a 4 p.m. checkout with the Delta crossover program. If they would offer Diamonds a 4 p.m. checkout and a hot breakfast if there is no lounge and a few suite certs a year I'd be happy and it wouldn't cost Hilton anything and the late check out policy has cost them a few stays I've given to SPG and Hyatt when I needed a late checkout.

I obtained my 2017 status by credit card spend instead of stays. The diamond status is nice in Overseas Hiltons that have nice lounges and so is the premium wifi (even though you have to call to have the charge removed a lot) and the diamond desk has always managed to get a cancel penalty fee waived when a flight has cancelled and I can't make it.

Hilton is getting some stays this quarter though due to the MQM Delta program so the program does have some advantages.
Totally agree. That's why I focus on qualifying for Hyatt Diamond first. Even though the spread of properties is much less, rather have Hyatt Diamond and Hilton Gold vs Hyatt Plat and Hilton Diamond. I do stay enough to eventually make HH Diamond each year, but after qualification If promos don't make staying at one significantly better than the other I make my stays purely on what I will experience - and for that the vast majority of my post qualification stays go to Hyatt.
Old Oct 19, 16, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I am a 12 year diamond (on 10th consecutive this year and will get lifetime in 20 more nights) I find that new properties just treat me as a regular guy. Once I stay a few times, they get to know me and I almost always get the upgrades. So, I believe it to be one more tier on the hierarchy - they treat their regular/return guests higher than Joe-Diamond staying for the first time.

I honestly do not care too much for the upgrades unless I am on vacation. The extra points and small extras mean more to me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: