FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Curse of Diamond
View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 16, 9:19 am
SS255

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by helosc View Post
As a Gold, I very rarely got upgraded to executive rooms and therefore had no access to executive lounges.
That makes Diamond worth it for me (I like lounges, both in hotels and in airports).
It would require some serious mattress running for me to make Diamond. It's more worth it for me to buy the Exec level room when lounge access is really important to me. Sometimes I just book one or two categories below Exec lounge, and hope for the best.

My father's been a Diamond for about 7 or 8 years, an SPG Gold for about the past 5 years, and a Marriott Gold this year, thanks to rollover nights. He's actually considering pushing more stays to Marriott/SPG in 2017 to get Platinum, and dropping down to HH Gold because he likes my strategy and the outcome. I told him that he might want to wait one year until we see what the new Marriott program will look like, and then go with one that treats the top tier the best.

Hilton has an opportunity now to sweeten the pot for Diamonds. They can start with a guaranteed 4PM checkout, 4 suite upgrade certs, and a full breakfast for at least the Diamond and a companion.