FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA and AA load factors JFK-LHR
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2004, 1:50 am
PUCCI GALORE
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I am sorry to disillusion you, but whatever your observations may be in the First Class cabin, they are not factual. As far as the maifest goes, we do not have that great a number of employees in First Class. Indeed on some routes it it practically impossible to get any sub load space at all. Australian routes come immediately to mind.

As far as awards and so on go, let me say this once and for all. These people have "paid" in one form or another or they would not have the seat. They may not have parted with cash (taxes apart), but they have paid through their travels, credit cards, shopping at Tescos, test driving cars, sleeping in the sort of hotels that I have to sleep in on trips, and so on.

There is no question in my mind, but AA make life very much easier to u*****e, and I as a customer appreciate that. It would appear that if ever you pay the full Business fare in the UK (I cannot speak for elsewhere) you are probably likely to sit in the First Class cabin. indeed there has been a big advertising campaign over in the UK promoting exactly that (with 15% knocked off the fare for good measure). Now that to me spells someone that has more supply than demand. Moreover, I notice that the First Class product on American Airlines has been seriously downgraded in the past couple of years and that the seat apart there is little difference between what is offered in Business and First. The menus are identical but I believe that they offer the First Class product on a plate rather than one of those oven proof dishes. Please do not misunderstand me, I have had some excellent flights on American (I could tell you about United - or worse Northwest, but one should never speak ill of the afflicted)

I would also add that my friends who fly for American assure me that the First Class positions are those that the "mid senior" bids (Business is the hardest work they tell me).

I think that you have been lucky with your American flights as those to and from LAX always seem to be packed!