FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Announces Toronto-Mumbai 787 Dreamliner Service
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:36 pm
yulred

Originally Posted by keitherson
I'd rather not turn this thread into a debate over free market vs protectionism because there's clearly not changing minds on this issue.

FYI there are duties on a lot of imports, including Samsung phones. And Boeing and Airbus employs many Canadians, as does Walmart CANADA. They are Canadian divisions of US companies with Canadian management.
Not trying to change minds. Just calling it what it is: outdated thinking that should have gone the way of the dodo hundreds of years ago.

As to Walmart et al, I'm willing to bet that somebody or the other trotted your argument to keep them out before common sense prevailed. Curious though: would you support a foreign carrier (any, really) setting up a domestic operation in Canada (with Canadian management/employees/whatnot?)

Look, I'm glad AC is flying to BOM and expanding across the board, but let's not try to project the protectionism afforded to it as being 'good' or 'correct' for Canadians. All these subsidy arguments don't make much sense when AC is trying to get into bed with the likes of CA and AI, the latter of which has been arguably the most destructive subsidized entity in aviation.